• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Too many contacts!!

Stockmoose16

Apr 29, 2010
I copied my bosses' Exchange contact list into my own, not realizing he had almost 5000 names in it. Now, those contacts have not only synced into my phone, but also my gmail. This makes it very difficult to sift through my personal contacts.

Without deleting them one by one, is there any way to make my phone show only My Exchange, MY gmail, and MY phone contacts?

If not, is there any way to undo the addition of all my bosses contacts without going through them one by one? And I don't know why they synced into gmail. This is such a hassle.

I copied my bosses' Exchange contact list into my own, not realizing he had almost 5000 names in it. Now, those contacts have not only synced into my phone, but also my gmail. This makes it very difficult to sift through my personal contacts.

Without deleting them one by one, is there any way to make my phone show only My Exchange, MY gmail, and MY phone contacts?

If not, is there any way to undo the addition of all my bosses contacts without going through them one by one? And I don't know why they synced into gmail. This is such a hassle.

they sync'd to gmail because that's the "default" set-up for a incredible.

depends on how they were imported,

My "guess" would be that they now part of your "contacts" and not filterable. They may be in a group you can delete in Gmail.

Deleting from Gmail is probably the easiest, but still a pain. Other then hard resetting the phone and abandoning the gmail account I don't think there is a easy way to get read of them...

Upvote 0
they sync'd to gmail because that's the "default" set-up for a incredible.

depends on how they were imported,

My "guess" would be that they now part of your "contacts" and not filterable. They may be in a group you can delete in Gmail.

Deleting from Gmail is probably the easiest, but still a pain. Other then hard resetting the phone and abandoning the gmail account I don't think there is a easy way to get read of them...

If I go and delete all the contacts I don't want from the phone, will it remove those contacts permanently? Or, will the next time Exchange or gmail hook up, will they reintegrate?

Here's what I want to do, maybe someone can explain how to do it:

I want a main contacts list on my phone, which just has the people I usually speak to/email with. Then I want a separate list which includes my boss' exchange contacts.

Now, since my exchange account address book is just one big file of both my boss and my contacts combined, is there any way to get separate lists?

Upvote 0
my suggestion would be to export your gmail contacts to a csv file, then open that csv in excel. chances are there is some field that only his contacts will have mapped like a business phone 2, or a company name or something, then you sort them by that delete all the ones with that. Save as a new file, delete all contacts from gmail, then import from the new file.

Upvote 0
my suggestion would be to export your gmail contacts to a csv file, then open that csv in excel. chances are there is some field that only his contacts will have mapped like a business phone 2, or a company name or something, then you sort them by that delete all the ones with that. Save as a new file, delete all contacts from gmail, then import from the new file.

But still, even if I do that, won't my Exchange address book - which has both his and my contacts - sync right back to the phone? And, if so, won't that sync right to my gmail again?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones