• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Top 3 Shopping List Apps for Android in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmanners

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
Rainbow Shoping List, Our Groceries, & Out of Milk
By Matt Manners @ AndroidMattness.wordpress.com
April 14, 2013

As chief shopper of the family and self-proclaimed Android power user, I’m always on the look for apps that can help to make the process a little bit easier. Not that I hate shopping, in fact, I really enjoy shopping. However, it’s always nice to have a little helper app that helps you to check prices or to remember the things to buy, when you need it.

As part of my quest to find a good shopping list for me and my wife, I have been exploring and playing with different shopping list apps lately. Some of the apps I have tried are really just awful: outdated design and frequent crashes. Now, to be fair, I have only tried the free version of these apps, but I doubt the paid version would offer much of a difference. On the other hand, I have also discovered many shopping list apps that are really nice. In fact, there are TOO MANY of them, each of them with different specialties. I almost feel guilty to pick only three out of this pool of well-crafted apps developers spent countless hours to develop. But it had to be done. And here’s how I come up with the top 3:

Requirements
(1) Support list sharing
(2) Support Ice Cream Sandwich and above

Judging criteria
(1) Intuitiveness – 10 points
(2) Functionality – 10 points
(3) Stability – 5 points
(4) Design optimized for ICS and above – 5 points

Based on the above requirements and judging criteria, I present to you

(1) Out of Milk
(2) Rainbow Shopping List
(3) Our Groceries Shopping List

outofmilklogo.png

Out of Milk
by Capigami, Inc.
Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.capigami.outofmilk

Out of Milk is shopping list, pantry list, and to-do list in one app. Out of Milk is smooth and it works great like a proper shopping list should be. Its design does seem to be a bit out-of-tune with the modern Android theme. However, this small flaw is outshone by its usefulness and stability.

Overall score: 27 / 30
Intuitiveness: 9 / 10
Functionality: 9 / 10
Stability: 5 / 5
Design optimized for ICS and above: 4 / 5

Intuitiveness
Out of Milk is smooth. The controls are intuitive and easy to find. Touch on an item to bring up a quick edit menu; Touch and hold to cross out an item. It takes a few minutes to figure out how to share a list as the option hides in the option menu (the menu which pops up when you touch on the physical menu button). But once you know where to find it, sharing is a breeze. (Score: 9 / 10)

Functionality
Out of Milk works great like a proper shopping list app should be. You can add items by typing, scanning bar code or voice input. You can arrange the position of an item by drag-and-drop. Should you make a mistake, you get the option to undo it (only certain action is undo-able). You can also check price history of an item. Aside from being a shopping list, it also has a pantry list that helps to keep track of your inventory. Moving items from shopping list to pantry list is a painful item-by-item process though. (Score: 9 / 10)

Stability
No issue found. (Score: 5 / 5)

Design optimized for ICS and above
The app looks a bit out of place for Ice Cream Sandwich and later. The two themes that you get without upgrading to PRO are Legal Pad and Classic, both of them bear close resemblance to iOS’s planner app, i.e. notepad with faux leather. Also, there’s no back button on the action bar, which has become somewhat a >ICS standard. (Score: 4 / 5)

rainbowshoppinglistlogo.png

Rainbow Shopping List
By Chak Development
Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chak.rainbow.list

Rainbow Shopping List is a colorful shopping list with many creative and powerful features. Its developer boasts that it can also predict shopping lists based on the user’s purchases. If you’re looking to improve productivity, this is the app to go for. It does seem to have a few stability issues with the voice input.

Overall score: 26.5 / 30
Intuitiveness: 8.5 / 10
Functionality: 9.5 / 10
Stability: 4 / 5
Optimized design for ICS and above: 5 / 5

Intuitiveness
Rainbow Shopping List is fairly intuitive. It does have the most number of buttons compare to Out of Milk and Our Groceries Shopping List, but it is easy to guess the function of each button due to self-explanatory icons. This app does not support drag-and-drop, but it does have a reasonable sorting option. (Score: 8.5/ 10)

Functionality
Rainbow Shopping List is the champion in terms of functionality. You can add items through typing, bar codes, and voice input. For voice input, it has a feature called Burst-mode which allows you to keep talking to it without having to press on the microphone button every time you add an item. You can attach photos, specify price, and add notes to an item. It has a really neat feature called the Edit Mode, in which you can select multiple items and perform actions such as move, copy, delete, mark as done, and etc. It allows you to import and export shopping lists. My only complaint is that the prediction feature doesn’t seem to working properly, and there are some other features that are still unsupported, such as time and location reminder. (Score: 9.5 / 10)

Stability
This app crashed sometimes when I’m doing voice input. (Score: 4 / 5)

The app uses a flat design and the standard action bar. This app has a modern look and fits well into the overall ICS theme. (Score: 5 / 5)

ourgroceriesshoppinglistlogo.png

Our Groceries Shopping List
By HeadCode
Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.headcode.ourgroceries

Our Groceries Shopping List is a no-frills shopping list app. It has the simplest design yet it still manage to keep the core features (i.e. add, remove, share) of a shopping list well under its belt. Its file size is tiny at slightly more than 200kb. If all you need is a quick-and-dirty (in a good way) shopping list this is the one app you cannot go wrong with. The design does look prehistoric though.

Overall score: 24.5 / 30
Intuitiveness: 9 / 10
Functionality: 7 / 10
Stability: 5 / 5
Optimized design for ICS and above: 3.5 / 5

Intuitiveness
Our Groceries Shopping List scores the highest in terms of intuitiveness. There is a minimal amount of controls, everything is obvious in what they do the first time you launch this app. Its lack of side functionalities allows the app to focus on the core features of a shopping list app: Add list, remove list, add item, remove item, and share. It is also quite fast in its response, compare to Out of Milk and Rainbow Shopping List. (Score: 9.5 / 10)

Functionality
There isn’t really much functionality to talk about aside from adding, removing, setting quantity, and list sharing. You can add items through typing and voice input, but it does not support bar codes. (Score: 7 / 10)

Stability
No issue found. (Score: 5 / 5)

The app looks outdated, seemingly stuck in the past. Expect Froyo-themed user interface. (Score: 3.5 / 5)

I remember trying Out of Milk and Our Groceries but for some reason I didn't like either one. I've come to favor Shopper Grocery Shopping List. It has a couple UI quirks but once you get use to them is pretty good. I also like that it has a website I can log into that I can manage my lists from.

Sadly my favorite shopping list program - Handyshopper - isn't available on Android. It was a popular Palm/Windows Mobile app that (at least last I heard) the developer has no interest in bringing to a modern mobile OS. It was just a very versatile shopping list program that could be used in ways I haven't seen else where.

Anyway I digress. I might try the Rainbox shopping list - although my wife hates when I make these changes.

Upvote 0
hi all - I'm about in the same boat as FDbryant3 above-- a former webOS user , recentlly moved to Android. WebOS had a great shopping app I liked called shop manager from vivaLV which doesn't seem to be ported over. the main feature of this one that I wish I could find on an android, and am desperate for pointers if ppl know:
when you put in a new item, you can choose MULTIPLE STORES that the item can be bought at. obviously, then; this app let you shop by store , so you could pull up "wal mart" and just look for things you had in your list that you'd designated to get at walmart. we shop a lot at costco, sams and bj's, and so several things I put in all three, since its not always clearcut which one I'll be going to..

on the android side, I've used loca which ahs the geotagging, which is another thing I like/want (which vivaLV didn't ) -- when I'm IN walmart it beeps and lets me know what I need o get there..

combining these two things would be great... but one bugaboo is this: there are seveal costcos near me. w/ VivaLV I could make locations like (costco edison, costco bridgewater ,etc) and so I'd love to find an android app that lets me do this--

ideal scenario: I make the entry "whole millk" and then a dropdown list of stores shows up, I choose "costco bridgewater, sams edison, bjs edison, costco edison" tick boxes.. then later when I'm at any one of those stores, it vibrates to let me know I need to get milk.

most shopping list apps I've found dont have this combo -- Loca has the geotagging, but only lets you choose one location for each item, so it'd be really nice to combine multiple (same named) stores with geotagging reminders... any takers?

Upvote 0
actually after I posted the above, I found one that might fulfill my wishes - grocerygadgets.com .. it has the multiple store thing, and its paid so haven't dl'ed yet, but the accompanying website (handy because you can manage lists on PC not just phone) it appears it might even have geolocation stuff going for it too, but not 100% yet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones