1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Top Backside of phone rattles

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdbell2004, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jdbell2004

jdbell2004 Member

Just curious if anyone else has noticed that the upper backside of the phone rattles when the phone vibrates or when I hold the bottom of the phone and tap gently on the upper backside of the phone. Anyone else notice this? Normal or a reason to exchange the phone before my 30 days are up?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nick325i

nick325i Android Enthusiast

Definately strange, but mine does it too...

Anyone else confirm or un-confirm?

3. jdbell2004

jdbell2004 Member

Takes .5 seconds to confirm. Can anyone tap the back top of their phones please?

4. nick325i

I just checked it on my co-workers Droid Eris and it makes the exact same noise. I'm thinking, that its the actual thing that makes the phone vibrate.

5. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Android Enthusiast

Mine does it too. Ive always noticed it.

6. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Android Enthusiast

my theory is that it's the camera housing

7. jdbell2004

jdbell2004 Member

got a new one. does the same thing. hmmmm.

8. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Android Enthusiast

It's the wheel for the vibrator. I saw where someone did a total disassembly of the Hero and you could see it on the top.

9. ItsDon

ItsDon Member

I also heard it was due to the camera. Autofocus I believe.

10. nick325i

I'm going with this answer :p

11. Mine has it too. I think it's from the camera. I always notice that small tiny clicking sound when the shutter opens when taking some pics.

12. mlblack16

mlblack16 Well-Known Member

It has a digital camera, I am pretty sure it has no shutter or moveable parts.

13. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

Digital cameras have a shutter!

14. mysticmead

mysticmead Android Expert

high end digital SLR cameras have a mirror that rotates, but digital cameras don't have a true shutter. a shutter on a camera is kept in a closed position and then opened briefly to expose the film behind it. no film.. no shutter...

15. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

All SLR cameras have a mirror, including film and digital. SLR stands for single lens reflex, what you see in the view finder is what is on that mirror. The mirror will lift up and the shutter releases to take the photo. I think that is correct. I do have a higher end DSLR (Canon 50D) and do work with cameras everyday, as I am a photojournalist.

16. n0gik

n0gik Member

(Sprint Hero, 5MP)
    Cam is auto-focus so hence does have a moving internal lens block before the image sensor.

It does make a bit of noise if you turn camera on, put ear up to screen side, wave hand in-front of lens, you'll clearly hear it doing its thing. (I have a hearing problem and still hear this when I'm using the camera) BTW - the cam is poor, unless that's all you have to use, then it's all you have.

The back cover on my Hero has a small tab that has broken off and was rattling inside, but the vibe motor can also be heard when shaken.

Enjoy.

17. greatcasa

greatcasa Newbie

I have a rattle too when you tap it or shake it up near the camera. Does anyone know officially what the hell this is?!!! I've read through thread after thread and forum after forum of over the last month of people asking the same question. All the answers are guesses at best. What the hell is this rattle?! Has anyone gotten an answer from HTC/Sprint?

18. aiwetir

aiwetir Lurker

it's something in the camera, there should be no 'shutter' in this kind of camera. i can clearly hear the click when i activate and deactivate my camera while resting on a vibration dampening pad.

19. andyriot

andyriot Newbie

i think the volume rocker buttons move ever so slightly enough to make a "rattle" noise. bugs me

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews