1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support top button / power problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ebixby, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ebixby

ebixby Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    On my Inc2, sometimes it is hard to open the screen up with a push of the top button. Push it again and it might start up. Or maybe a few tries gets it to work. This makes it seem like I have a mechanical button issue. But sometimes it goes to the startup boot screen like it had shut off somehow. Maybe it was a long button push to restart or it was actually off for some strange reason. I don't know if it is a mechanical button issue, or a software issue. any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    Oyster shucker blacks oyster bar
    Dirty South, Louisiana
    The top button sounds like it is not making good contact with internal switch.

How long have you had the phone? If you are still in the initial 30 day return period by all means convince them to give you another new one because of this issue.
    If you are past that period they might send you a refurbished phone that might have other problems of it's own, it's a gamble.

Until you make that choice, but there is an app that will let you wake the screen with the side volume buttons and another app that will let you lock the screen with the press of an on screen icon...

MagicLocker volume buttons to wake the screen & more...

https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker

Screen off & lock...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock

ebixby likes this.
  3. derrickdroid

derrickdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Minnesota
    I had the same problem with mine. The power button is kinda hard to push, after awhile it started to have problems. One night i couldnt get it to bring up the unlock screen pushing that button. So i pulled the battery. Then i couldnt get the phone to start up because the button wasnt working at all. So i took a air compressor and blew around the button, suddenly it started working again. It has worked ever since. I dont really want to encounter another problem like this so i downloaded a ROM which would let me use the side buttons to bring up the unlock screen.

ebixby and blackepoxy like this.
  4. ebixby

ebixby Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Thanks! My phone is past any warranty, so I will try the compressed air today and see if that does the trick.

5. derrickdroid

derrickdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Minnesota
    Youre Welcome. my phone has the insurance, but i dont wanna wait 3 days for a refurbished one to come in. But keep us updated if this works :D

6. mc48

mc48 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    so. east, usa
    I haven't really had a problem with the power button I just don't like the position of it, it seems clumsy to me and hard to get at. But I am recently coming from the Eris which I used for 2 years (my son now uses it) where the power button is a physical button on the bottom right front of the phone. That seemed very convenient compared to where the Dinc2's is placed. Anyway to get around this, I have been using the free version of the above mentioned screen off & lock to turn off the screen. And Widgetlocker (probably like the above-mentioned MagicLocker) has a setting that allows you to use the volume rocker to wake up the phone.

7. ebixby

ebixby Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    I did blow mine out with compressed air, but really don't see much difference. I will wait a bit before I get to the point where I'll try an app to do that. Thanks.

8. rocky0931

rocky0931 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Mine has no problem with it. I check to retailer for ship date of my device: it's 2011/12. Some says this issue happened on ship date before 2011/08. Maybe u guys can check it on your own. :)

9. cdavidhess

cdavidhess Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I also have had a problem with a weak/sticky power button. I used Magiclocker for awhile but missed the weather effects when I unlocked it.

I finally disassembled the phone using a Torx 5 screwdriver (available at Sears). I cleaned around the power button with compressed air and some electric cleaner spray. After I got all the gunk cleaned off the power button and surrounding area, it is like new again.

I apparently got a little spray on the inside of the glass and had to use a warm hair dryer to evaporate it, but it is fine now.

If you need some help with dis-assembly, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will show you how.

10. st_j_taylor

st_j_taylor Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2013
    I have had that problem for the last two days, but after reading posts from this place I took my phone apart and used caned air cleaner to blow out everything. power button works like a charm, but sadly lost my volume control. I am going to play more tomorrow maybe i can fix the volume.