• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Top killers of battery life

Trauma

Jul 28, 2010
So what are tge top killers of the battery?

I know the obvious one is the screen...

What else drains a huge amount of energy?

Do things like multiple news feed widgets drain a lot of energy?

I heard leaving GPS on absolutely wrecks your battery life as well.

So what are tge top killers of the battery?

I know the obvious one is the screen...

What else drains a huge amount of energy?

Do things like multiple news feed widgets drain a lot of energy?

I heard leaving GPS on absolutely wrecks your battery life as well.

gps, wifi, and bluetooth.
also the phone. anything with a radio is a KILLER! :)
do you use the power settings widget...?
u should...

Upvote 0
GPS is the biggest battery killer.

Try Quick Settings. It replaces battery monitor, display brightness, volume settings and all other various toggle widgets. It's not a widget, but can be activated from notification bar or you can put it on one of your screen. A true all-in-one solution plus it's got an LED flashlight. And it's free!

Reactions: ChiefHopper
Upvote 0
People saying Wi-Fi is a big battery drainer as incorrect. It uses less battery megabyte for megabyte than 3G by a long way.

If you're not in range of a Wi-Fi network then by all means disable Wi-Fi, but some of these posts are kind of saying people should use 3G instead of Wi-Fi, which will just result in worse battery life.

Upvote 0
GPS is big...if you leave it on. There is a glitch that keeps your phone from sleeping if the gps is not toggled off after using it. It is documented on this forum.

But some have this problem and others don't. So each person should confirm on their device. I don't have this issue (thank goodness!). I never turn GPS off, it only comes on when required, and I have great battery life.

Reactions: jdk33
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's every Droid x. It is 100% reproducible. As long as you take off the gps you should be good. Check it out:

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...428-battery-drain-due-software-bug-w-gps.html

Then I stand corrected. I haven't run the test, so can't say one way or the other for my phone. What I will say is the same as I said above. I leave GPS on 24/7 and have no battery life issues. I easily get a full day and could probably get as much as 24 hours on a single charge with moderate use (some web browsing, a few games, short phone calls, email, facebook, twitter, texting, sportstap). I realize that others have significant battery issues and maybe its traceable to this issue. But no problems here. Maybe I don't use my GPS enough, but it doesn't seem that that should matter, since ANY small amount of use should trigger the problem.

But, it does inspire me to turn GPS off completely and see if my battery life results get even better!

I'm getting a replacement phone because of another issue and I'm HOPEFUL that I won't encounter the battery life issues some have experienced.

Upvote 0
But some have this problem and others don't. So each person should confirm on their device. I don't have this issue (thank goodness!). I never turn GPS off, it only comes on when required, and I have great battery life.

Same here. I used google maps extensively today along with phone calls, you tube watching, surfing, etc. with no problems. The intent was to have my DX fully discharged in order to do a calibrate for a battery app.

It took 17 hours to do it with usage way higher than what I normally do.

It is now charging per the instructions.

As far as GPS it is always on as is BT and WiFi.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones... knock on wood.

Al
:D

Upvote 0
People saying Wi-Fi is a big battery drainer as incorrect. It uses less battery megabyte for megabyte than 3G by a long way.

If you're not in range of a Wi-Fi network then by all means disable Wi-Fi, but some of these posts are kind of saying people should use 3G instead of Wi-Fi, which will just result in worse battery life.

I agree with this. As soon as I get home from work, I immediately turn WiFi on to connect to my home network. I have great battery life by using WiFi whenever I'm home in lieu of 3G. WiFi is a battery SAVER if you're connected to a good signal. Plus it's considerably faster than 3G as well. Win and win!

Upvote 0
Leaving the GPS on does not mean that it is *on*. It just means apps can turn it on when needed. To see if it's actually on at any moment, you can look for the satellite symbol in the task bar.

And by far the top killer of battery life by a good order of magnitude is the display.

Charge your DX. Take it off charge, turn on GPS, leave it google maps, turn on wifi, and bluetooth. And then disable the screen timeout.

Wait until the phone is about to die. Look at battery monitor. 98% of the battery will have gone to just the screen alone.

Upvote 0
It has been 29hours since last plugged in.
My status is showing 60% battery life left.

Usage is mainly phone calls (56%)
with display being the next largest (22%)
Standby and Idle closed out the list.

I was getting avg of 24-26 hours and it needing to be recharged.

The other day I was in a locale when the power went out and I used my X to play youtube videos to keep my daughter occupied.

Needless to say I ran the battery down so far it was literally crying to be plugged in. Usually when it 1st asks to be plugged in I do so. This time I ran it way past that mark.

Charged it both in a vehicle charger and off the usb on my comp once I got home.

Now that charge has lasted since that epsiode as listed above.

Upvote 0

I saw your post and it made me think, what is good battery life to you?

On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being heavy, how heavy a user do you consider yourself?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones