• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Top reasons why Droid is better than the iPhone

twiy06

Nov 10, 2009
What do you guys think?

Red Key Solutions Technology Blog: Top features the Verizon Droid has that iPhone does not!

The following is a brief list of features that are the Droid has and the iPhone does not.

Just to give you some history, I have had both an iPhone and a Blackberry Curve since both came out. I recently switched my Curve in for a Droid. I have rooted both the iPhone and Droid and have used and know both platforms pretty well.

Having said that... I believe that currently the Droid is a better phone for the following reasons:

1. Multitask apps
    - On the Droid I can be playing a game, receive a phone call, open up my calendar, then go to a text message, then open up a browser and go back to my game and everything is running at the same time. Nothing closes. Its a multitasking machine!
  2. Full keyboard
    - The keyboard on the droid is NOT the best but it is very nice to have it. It takes a bit to get used too but it has definetly come in handy when editing excel spreadsheets.
  3. Notification light
    - The droid has a little light that blinks when you get a new email, txt, etc. It is similar to the Blackberry light I have come to love. The iPhone does not and it is frustrating to have to turn it on just to see if anything new came up.
  4. Only apps/shortcuts/bookmarks you want are displayed on your desktop
    - On the iPhone... all of your apps are on the desktop. This gets to be a bit crazy when you have 5 pages of apps and shortcuts. On the Droid, there is a separate button for ALL apps and only the apps you want are on your desktop.
  5. Widgets
    - The droid has widgets which are interactive apps that update themselves. There are a few widgets i cannot live without.
  6. 4 buttons on bottom instead of 1
    - The droid has 4 buttons at bottom instead of one.
    Back button
    Menu button
    Home button
    Search button

The iPhone just has one and that drives me crazy. Navigating websites and menus on the Droid is quicker than the iPhone.
  7. Removable battery
    - On my Blackberry i always had a few batteries on charge. I am a power user that travels alot and having a second battery on charge is key for me. That is not a big deal for most users. The iPhone always made me mad that if i have a low charge and need to leave to be out and about i am screwed. So the Droid allows me to swap batteries on the fly.
  8. Verizon Verizon Verizon!
    - For many people.... being on AT&T is not a big deal. If you live in Manhattan and dont leave the island much then you will not have problems. If you are traveling up and about, you will be dropping calls on AT&T and will have service holes where Verizon does not. I get to see this first hand and at this time Verizon is the best in my opinion. Whats the point of having a crazy phone if you cant use it 100% of the time.
  9. Tether for internet
    - This feature is extremely valuable as I can get free internet on my laptop using my Droid. At this time i am unaware if iPhone has this feature.
  10. Google built in
    - As much as the big brother Google scares me it is VERY convenient to have real Gmail, Google Calendar, and GTalk right on my phone.
Recap:
I am not saying that the iPhone is not an amazing piece of technology, however because of the multi tasking features and the network... the Droid is currently the best phone on the market.

Up: Without arbitrarily long acceptance procedures, apps can be updated 5 or 6 times a week! And apps that would NEVER make it to an iphone can be used on the droid. I thought I would be losing games coming from the iPhone, but I would trade Metroid Zelda Contra for the Sims, Spore, and Metal Gear Solid (all iPhone versions/clips) anyday. Especially with physical buttons to use with it. And for all you criminals, free tethering and napster-esque utilities. Though I frown on you...

Down: Apps are less attractive without the standardized look that is a result of that acceptance process however. And some apps are buggier.

Upvote 0
I feel like the only things the iphone has on the droid are:

1. Surf web pages WHILE on phone
    - This canbe useful
  2. Number and quality of apps
    - iPhone really does have more quality apps RIGHT NOW. The only app i cant find a replacement for right now owning both droid and iphone is the scarable app.
  3. Smoothness of animations
    - Droid is smooth by iphone IS smoother. I have both and it really is noticeable. Thats a shame but not a deal breaker. I will take a better network and true multitasking over 100% smoothness anyday.

Upvote 0

- This canbe useful
    - iPhone really does have more quality apps RIGHT NOW. The only app i cant find a replacement for right now owning both droid and iphone is the scarable app.
  3. Smoothness of animations
    - Droid is smooth by iphone IS smoother. I have both and it really is noticeable. Thats a shame but not a deal breaker. I will take a better network and true multitasking over 100% smoothness anyday.

Only one I can comment on is Surf web pages WHILE on phone
That is NOT an iphone feature. The lack of being able to do it on the droid is a limitation of CDMA. If the iphone came to verizon, it also would not be able to do it.

Upvote 0

- This canbe useful

While I agree with the quality of apps guarenteed in a non-multitasking, non-customizing, approval needing environment (a natural plus side to those negatives), I don't think the 'number' of apps can really be counted. For me personally, there are far more applications I couldn't get on the iPhone but can on the droid that I would use. Most of the iPhones are games.

And for an iPhone win, you forgot the keyboard. The software keyboard is definately, definitely better on the iPhone. That is the major thing I miss. And although Droid has the music widgets to help lessen the pain a little, media management, organization, features and aesthetics are all much better on the iPhone. Those are my two biggest gripes coming from 3gs. I haven't really noticed any other 'negatives' that go with the droid, but plenty of oh wow.

Upvote 0
Only one I can comment on is Surf web pages WHILE on phone
That is NOT an iphone feature. The lack of being able to do it on the droid is a limitation of CDMA. If the iphone came to verizon, it also would not be able to do it.

Not to mention you can only do this when you're on AT&T's 3G network. So, uh, yeah. Good luck with that, lol.

As for smoothness of the Droid's interface, I recently switched to home++. Looks like it stays in memory, so it makes switching between home screens buttery smooth, As well as the app drawer (after a one time load - happens each time you restart your phone or restart home++).

Upvote 0
hehehe ;)

iPhone users are delusional, consultants say

The Strand thinkers released an opinion entitled "How will psychologists describe the iPhone syndrome in the future?." It focuses on the sorts of people who buy into Apple's great success.

Here's a flavor of the somewhat-skeptical nature of Strand's feelings: "Apple has launched a beautiful phone with a fantastic user interface that has had a number of technological shortcomings that many iPhone users have accepted and defended, despite those shortcomings resulting in limitations in iPhone users' daily lives."
CNET News

Upvote 0
The original plagiarized list did not include the removable SD card.

The 5 MP camera is nice.

And USB for charging and data transfer, no crazy converters needed.

Google sky is an amazing app.

I think they finally got stereo BT on the iPhone, right? What about BT file transfer?

The Droid comes with a 16gb memory card, the iPhone 3GS has 32 gb of memory, not an advantage

5MP vs 3MP, but somehow the iPhone's pictures are far better quality, don't know why

iPhone does have a USB cable for both charging and data transfer, no "crazy converters" needed

Google sky, goggles, voice everything is better on droid

Stereo bluetooth is better on iPhone, but no data transfer without an extra app

Don't get me wrong, I got rid of my iPhone to get the droid, but you need to have your facts straight before you trash a device or you just look like you don't have a clue

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I got rid of my iPhone to get the droid, but you need to have your facts straight before you trash a device or you just look like you don't have a clue

Excellent comments! Frankly, I avoid the "which one is better" conversations like the plague. I simply say, "This is the best phone that Verizon had to offer for me.", and leave it at that.

Upvote 0
this is my opinion but these continued anti iphone threads are getting foolish and unnecessary. it seems like you guys have to reassure yourselves daily that your phone is better. its getting redundant

I couldn't agree more, iPhone does some things better, droid does some things better, everyone else is playing catchup. It just comes down to a matter of personal preference. I love my droid but I know something better is always around the corner, apple or google or anyone else, I don't care. I am loyal to having the best electronics, regardless of who makes them.

Right now droid is the best for me. 6 months ago iPhone was the best for me, this summer the new iPhone or the google phone may be the best for me. Maybe windows has a top secret complete overhaul of their OS to make it useable (unlikely, but maybe), and they will make a great phone. Lets just enjoy the competition and keep reaping the benefits of it!

Upvote 0
:cool: This says it all. :cool:

Attachments

• admiralackbar2jl1.jpg
    admiralackbar2jl1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
I couldn't agree more, iPhone does some things better, droid does some things better, everyone else is playing catchup. It just comes down to a matter of personal preference. I love my droid but I know something better is always around the corner, apple or google or anyone else, I don't care. I am loyal to having the best electronics, regardless of who makes them.

Right now droid is the best for me. 6 months ago iPhone was the best for me, this summer the new iPhone or the google phone may be the best for me. Maybe windows has a top secret complete overhaul of their OS to make it useable (unlikely, but maybe), and they will make a great phone. Lets just enjoy the competition and keep reaping the benefits of it!

Soooo...why not just ignore the thread and move on to another?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones