1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Top speaker not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by frogman987, Feb 10, 2014.

1. frogman987

frogman987 Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2013
    Does anyone else have a problem with the top speaker not playing music, I replaced my phone and this is still apparent with my current one. The only way I can get the top speaker to work is to listen to a voicemail or restart my phone which gets old after awhile. So, I was just seeing how common this problem is and if there is any fix to it.

Advertisement

2. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert
    None

Mar 19, 2012
    I had the same issue with mine. They had to send me a new one. It appears to be a software issue.

3. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

This happened to my phone once, too. In my case, I suspected that some sand got into the headphone jack, so I made some effort to clean out the contacts in there. I held the phone upside down while repeatedly inserting and removing a headphone plug. Maybe it was coincidence, but my top speaker started working again immediately after this effort, and it hasn't been a problem since.

russellvone likes this.
  4. EazySteve

EazySteve Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 10, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Mine just started doing this too. I just restarted my phone and it worked again.

Is there an option to turn boom sound on and off?

5. mikeca

mikeca Android Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2011

I haven't seen one but that could certainly be what's going on with this issue?

6. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

Just happened again on my phone. This time, the plug in/out trick didn't help. Power cycling the phone did, though. Which points to a software issue as someone suggested in another thread.

Let's hope that the pending Kitkat upgrade helps us with this issue.

EazySteve likes this.
  7. groo79

groo79 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    I noticed this when I used poweramp. Are you using the stock music player?

8. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

I have Poweramp installed, but don't fire it up very frequently. This time, I noticed the issue when using the YouTube app, but I've also had it with MX Player Pro and BeyondPod. As such, I don't think it's app-specific.

FWIW, after my earlier post, I checked on a hunch. Recalling at least one review of our phone model that claimed that the internals are more or less identical to the HTC One Mini, I decided to Google "htc one mini speaker." Sure enough, the same issue affects the Mini, too.

This *may* give some weight to our needs for a fix. If the same issue affects both the Desire 601 and the "more or less the same inside" One Mini, then HTC is more likely to address it with a software update - if that's the root of the problem.

But that's just me reaching and hoping. If it's fixed with Kitkat, then it was software. If it's not, then the issue hasn't been recognized by HTC yet, or it's not enough of a problem to throw resources at fixing, or Virgin Mobile doesn't want to fix it (yet?) due to costs, or maybe it was a hardware issue after all. Or maybe something else.

Let's hope on Kitkat....

9. groo79

groo79 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Sounds like some apps don't support hardware stereo speakers and then they get shut off. Hopefully the update will have the music app restart the boom sound on play.

10. frogman987

frogman987 Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2013
    Sorry, to bring up a dead thread, but has anybody solved this problem yet? I was thinking of buying the phone again.

11. gizmo88

gizmo88 Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2012
    Your new phone will experience the exact same issue is the problem. There's an inbound Kitkat update that may address this bug. Then again, it could make it worse, only time will tell.

12. frogman987

frogman987 Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2013
    Once that update is available could someone update me on whether or not there was a fix? that would be greatly appreciated.

13. Chissa92

Chissa92 Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2014
    try to disable the chrome webbrowser in app settings. that worked for me. now both speakers work again

14. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

I haven't had a problem with the top speaker going out since the KitKat update. This thread largely died with that update.

EazySteve likes this.
  15. sujan01822846404

None

Nov 2, 2014
    My HTC desire816 have the same problem.but I don't know why but when I reset my phone it's gone.what am supposed to do.

16. Jude87

Jude87 Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2015
    Male
    Has anyone found a solution for the speaker issue?

17. MeniscusKing

MeniscusKing Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2012
    I don't know if this would be the exact solution but I remember reading a while back that if you went into recovery and cleared both cache and dalvik cache it would somehow fix the speaker issues.

Edit: Figured I would add that the people were having issues with the volume not going as high.

18. samirkazi

samirkazi Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2016
    Male
    Well, I had the same issue since I upgraded to Marshmallow(Android 6). It could also be a coincidence however I noticed it that time. I have done numerous factory resets and all that was placed in this thread but to no avail. Finally today it was solved. I tried disabling each app and try. I disabled Google Text to Speech engineand tried calling using my phone and top speaker worked. Hopefully I would not need to use earphones every time I have to answer my calls now. After that I once again enabled that Google Text to speech engine and my phone speakers still work. Well please don't jump to conclusion about hardware. Most of issues nowadays are software related unless phone is damaged.
    Samir

19. Aswin srinivasan

None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Sorry for pinging an dead thread. My BOTTOM SPEAKER IS NOT WORKING.
    Recently i had a boot loader problem
    The service guys said me it is an hardware problem and rectified it. In a span of one week itself i am facing this issue. Can you help me out guys?

20. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

My suspicion would be the same that its a hardware problem. Since the speakers can be switched on and off via the presence/absence of a headphone plug, I would start there and try working a headphone plug in and out of the jack. Maybe try spraying some electronics contact cleaner in thw jack too. pull the battery beforehand and let it dry thoroughly before powering it up again if you try that.