1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Top-up?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chris951, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    When I got my phone at best buy the guy set my phone up and activated it and used one of the top up cards. I have to pay the bill in a couple days so can I just go buy another topup card and apply that to my account or something? Is it really that simple? If this is the case, can I go get the card today and apply it to my account even though my bill is due in a couple days?

Advertisement

2. agianne

agianne Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Yes, you can buy a top up card at a store. If you pay sales tax in your area it will be $25 plus tax.

You can also buy top up "cards" over the web. Many of us buy our top up "cards" (actually they just give you a pin code) through http://www.callingmart.com. If you use coupon code ca3p-1207 it will bring the price of the $25.00 card down to $24.01 and callingmart doesn't collect sales tax. You will get your top up code right away and save a buck.

Once you have your top up code, access the virginmobileusa.com site and hit the "top up" link in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Enter your phone number and the top up number from the card you bought, either in a store or online. You can do this anytime, even before your account renews.

(You can add money to your account directly from this VM top up page, but then it's $25 plus tax.)

Some people report that VM magically sees that there is money sitting in the account, deducts it on their bill date and keeps their service going automatically. Others, including me, have never had this happen.

On the day my account renews, I have to sign in to virginmobileusa.com and hit the "Restart my plan month" link on the right. Don't do this in advance if you still have minutes remaining or you will lose the minutes and it will change your renewal date to whatever date you do this on.

Some have reported that hitting the "Activate" shortcut in the applications menu on the phone will also do the same thing as hitting the "restart my plan month" on the VM site. I haven't tried this.

If all else fails, you can call VM customer service and pay over the phone ($25 plus tax) and/or ask them to restart your plan month.

This is all kind of a minor pain, but for $25 a month, I deal with it.

If you do happen to burn through all your minutes before your month is up, you can just top up and restart early. You'll have 300 new minutes, but your new bill date will be whatever date you restart on.

You can set up automatic payment by having a credit card on file, but I haven't tried that. I believe that this will cause the account to both auto top-up and auto restart the plan month, but I don't know that for a fact.

3. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Awesome thanks for the write up. I kinda skimmed through it as I'm at work.. but basically I can go buy a card today and apply it today and it will count for next month even though my bill is due in 4 days?

4. agianne

None

Mar 15, 2011
    Yes. To summarize:

1) Go buy card (You can do this in advance.)

2) Top up account by entering card's PIN to your account (You can do this in advance, in as many $$$ as you want, up to something like $400.)

3)Re-start plan month (Do this after 12:01 AM on your bill date, do not do this in advance unless you've used up all your minutes.)

5. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Ok thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

6. camplejo

camplejo Member
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    looks like coupon code for callingmart is actually ca3p-1207

7. agianne

None

Mar 15, 2011
    I have fixed the coupon code in the original post above. Thanks for catching that.

8. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
    The coupon code worked for me. Thanks.

Also, my next payment due date was 4-25, and I was worried about getting the redirect problem again, so this time I tried topping up and paying 3 days early, on 4-22. This worked perfectly. No interruption in service at all, no redirect problem, and it did not change the day my next payment is due, which now shows as 5-25 :D

9. junior187

junior187 Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    What he said.

Tags: