1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

topreports.news / taboola popup

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by FordLTL9000, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

On my LG Stylo 3 I installed a couple of countdown apps and, not sure if related, but since then I've been getting this "topreports.news" popup when I lock my phone. It looks like the web browser that opens up when you tap a link in a message in Gmail, where tapping on the 3-dot menu on the top right shows "Open in Chrome" at the bottom of the menu. It also gets saved in Chrome history as "taboola". If I tap "recent apps" it won't show in the recent apps screen, which has made it so I can't see what app is doing this. How can I find what it is and get rid of it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

that's adware. you may want to uninstall those apps

Dannydet likes this.
  3. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

Thank you. I've uninstalled them but it keeps coming up. I haven't installed anything else new recently that I can think of.

4. ocnbrze

try clearing cache as well. sometimes if you uninstall the app, the cache will still remain. those adwares can be left in cache.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

I cleared cache again for good measure, and restarted the phone. We'll see. It's not consistent so it's hard for me to keep track of when it happens. I just wish I could track down what's doing it and get it out of my phone.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

keep us posted.

7. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

I cleared cache and restarted, still happening. I turned off wifi and mobile data, and it pops up but can't load the page. Any way I can find out what it is, when it's up?

8. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

I installed Popup Ad Detector and CCleaner, and when the ads showed up again it showed the last 2 apps were WTForecast and MyFitnessPal. I uninstalled both and it never came back. I've reinstalled MyFitnessPal because I use it a lot, so if the ads don't come back, it was probably WTForecast. Will update in a few days.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. FordLTL9000

FordLTL9000 Lurker

So far, no more adware. Might have been my WTForecast. I kind of wish I did the other apps one at a time, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Popup Ad Detector, and Snoop Snitch. Malwarebytes did end up thinking that 42 of my apps were malware. I deleted some of the ones that I didn't use much, but left the rest. I just did another scan and it found no malware.

As a side note, I'm pretty impressed that this phone is still chugging along. I've had it about 2 and a half years now.

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.