• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Total....and I do mean TOTAL novice!!

janiedelang

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
Help would be much appreciated! I have just been bought a Samsung Galaxy Portal and have very little idea how it works. Any help or tips would be appreciated but for starters, if the screen is showing the 3G icon, does that mean I am connected to the internet and more importantly, am I being charged?? If so, how do I turn it off please?!
Thanks
Janie :thinking:

As far as I know it just means that's (3g) the network you're connected to. So if you were to surf the net on your phone you would get 3g speeds (speed might vary depending on several factors). I occasionally get an "H" which is the HSPA network here in Canada. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're surfing the net and using data. Just make sure that there's nothing in the background using it (ie. I have a version of MSN on my cell phone. When its active its up on the top left corner. That means its using data in the background to stay connected.)

If you push and hold the little house key (home) a window should pop up showing the last six apps you've accessed (internet, settings, messaging, etc.).

If you push and hold the hang up button you can silence the phone, turn on airplane mode or turn it off.

Ummm I'm not sure what else. The back button will take you back one webpage when you're surfing the net. It'll take you back one step with just about anything else. Doesn't delete text if you're texting though.

Upvote 0
As far as I know it just means that's (3g) the network you're connected to. So if you were to surf the net on your phone you would get 3g speeds (speed might vary depending on several factors). I occasionally get an "H" which is the HSPA network here in Canada. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're surfing the net and using data. Just make sure that there's nothing in the background using it (ie. I have a version of MSN on my cell phone. When its active its up on the top left corner. That means its using data in the background to stay connected.)

From what I understand thats mostly right, but here in the UK the 3G icon shows that you are in a 3G area (this does not designate that your phone is constantly using the internet as such, just that you are in an area with that ability) The phone will automatically switch to H (HSPA) under heavy data traffic if you are in an area that supports it, otherwise your phone will just use the 3G at its maximum speed given your signal strength.

Long press on the home screen (normal view) to get a shortcuts menu, to create a shortcut to an internet bookmark, installed app, or saved contact (effectively a speed-dial icon)

I would recommend having a quick flick through the manual that should have came with you phone ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones