• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

total old lady newbie

Patkid

Apr 29, 2010
firstly, thank you for being here.
My new Incredible is charged. It is staring at me. I am staring at it. I am old, widowed, and live alone. This technology is so foreign to me. I am afraid to activate the dinc as I only have my cell service and am worried I will screw it up and not be able to make or receive calls. What have I done?
I have been reading on this forum for over 4 hours and still feel completely inept. Someone 'goose' me. Tell me I am going to learn about this. Tell me it will all be okay. My current phone is the Samsung Sway.............see how far behind I am?
arghhh

It's hard to screw it up. You should have a sheet with the package that shows the instructions on how to activate, although the phone walks you through it so well you don't need them. You only need to know your billing pass code, which may be the last four digits of your social security or last 4 of your phone number.

From there, set up a google/gmail account, play around with the phone. The fact you are on a tech forum means you're more advanced than the majority and willing to learn new things.

Good luck.

Reactions: Patkid
Upvote 0
Have fun with your phone knowing you are in good hands. HTC Incredible is a great phone, you are on the largest network, and now have a ton of friends here in the forum to help you with questions. So, I know I would feel reassured.

The phone is very user friendly and I would feel safe letting my 5 year old play with it, other than smashing there is not much one can do to break a phone these days.

After following the included instructions to activate the phone, I would take some pictures of my pets and indoor/outdoor shots, upload them here, maybe take a walk, check my email... Read the forum, etc...

Good luck!

Upvote 0
firstly, thank you for being here.
My new Incredible is charged. It is staring at me. I am staring at it. I am old, widowed, and live alone. This technology is so foreign to me. I am afraid to activate the dinc as I only have my cell service and am worried I will screw it up and not be able to make or receive calls. What have I done?
I have been reading on this forum for over 4 hours and still feel completely inept. Someone 'goose' me. Tell me I am going to learn about this. Tell me it will all be okay. My current phone is the Samsung Sway.............see how far behind I am?
arghhh

I call BS....No Old lady is going arghh....

Upvote 0
Adam, not fake.............really......
thanks to all for the encouragement.
I trust forums and rely on them. I cared for my husband as he died from Lung Cancer for 18 months. I could not have managed that without the LC forum and all the support, advice and friendships.................thusly when I have a new challenge I turn to forums.
I charged my phone to green led yesterday and when I got up this morning it was discharged so I have it plugged in again...............guess it is time to get my feet wet.................
NO BS here.........honest.
Pat

Upvote 0
It's hard to screw it up. You should have a sheet with the package that shows the instructions on how to activate, although the phone walks you through it so well you don't need them. You only need to know your billing pass code, which may be the last four digits of your social security or last 4 of your phone number.

From there, set up a google/gmail account, play around with the phone. The fact you are on a tech forum means you're more advanced than the majority and willing to learn new things.

Good luck.

you can also go back to the apps and run the 'setup' application to redo the intial setup walkthrough that occurs when you start phone the first time...

Upvote 0
Hi Pat... Maybe give this a go instead Jitterbug - easy to use phones, no contract plans, high quality customer service

I Kid... You can't screw the phone up through normal use. I think the only issue you will have is not being able to figure out what all the features are and what they do. Most of us, or at least me, learn what a button does by pushing it. Anytime you are stuck in a screen and are not sure how to get out hit your back button, bottom far right, or your home button, bottom far left.

Upvote 0
You guys quack me up!!
Yup, grandmom.......to 3
Yup, maybe Jitterbug is a good bet.........LOL
I am getting the hang of the Incredible, still a few problems, but reading and studying and practicing..........
Being alone sux..........really...........after all those years of 'back up' and having someone to think along with you.............
I am not feeling sorry for myself............just trying to give you a glimpse as to how brave I feel when I tackle something new.
Yesterday I repaired a toilet!!!!!!
Last week I traveled alone (and took my dog on the plane w/ me)
Last month I caulked around my chimney.
Maybe as I become some confident in my aloneness I can ward off the inevitable Jitterbug days for a couple more years.................
You guys are the best.........made me laugh at myself. Thanks.

Upvote 0
You guys quack me up!!
Yup, grandmom.......to 3
I am getting the hang of the Incredible, still a few problems, but reading and studying and practicing..........
Being alone sux..........really...........after all those years of 'back up' and having someone to think along with you.............
I am not feeling sorry for myself............just trying to give you a glimpse as to how brave I feel when I tackle something new.
Maybe as I become some confident in my aloneness I can ward off the inevitable Jitterbug days for a couple more years.................

Good for you Patkid! Live each day joyfully and fully. We are all with you.

Upvote 0
You guys quack me up!!
Yup, grandmom.......to 3

If you ready yourself as a cougar, I am a ready teddy.....

You can see for yourself at fastharry.com

Upvote 0
how do I put a pic of our '56 chevy in here?
I may have attached it??

PS absolutely NOT cougarish.............NOT

Attachments

• Brian and His Car.JPG
    Brian and His Car.JPG
    645.6 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
how do I put a pic of our '56 chevy in here?
I may have attached it??

PS absolutely NOT cougarish.............NOT

thats a sweet 56....here are some pics of of 55 under construction. Brand new, ground up resto of an original 150 sedan with 35000 miles found in a garage..

Motor has no chinese parts, Bill "grumpy" jenkins put the final tune on it....

520 Hp, 475 ft pounds torque.... Tremec 5 speed trans......

bill so far?, 78,000.......

fastharry '55

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones