1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Total smartphone newbie here

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by willbill0587, Feb 12, 2011.

1. willbill0587

willbill0587 Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2011
    UK
    This is my first post, so Hi, to everyone.
    I am totally new to smartphones, android etc.
    My sister has an iphone and thats as close as I have got to a smartphone.
    I was thinking of getting an iphone 4 but I hate the OS, you play around with it for 5 minutes, then realise that its really boring.
    I'm here because after 24 months, my contract is coming to an end on my Nokia N85.
    I have been looking at the HTC DHD and the Nexus S.
    I am favouring the Nexus S because it has a better chance of still being relatively upto date in 24 months time, whereas my Nokia is not.

I just have a few questions about the Nexus S.

I have heard people complaining about there being no LED notifications, what does this mean?
    Will there ever be an update or something for the camera to make it HD?
    The Galaxy S is HD and the 2 share the same camera?
    What is meant by 'rooting'?
    Is it a better device than the DHD, and will it be better than the DHD in 24 months time when my contract ends?
    Are there any issues that I should know before I get it?

Sorry for my long first post, just hoping to get some questions answered.
    Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Having no led notification light means there is no light that blinks when you have missed a call or text. And I believe that they will release an update so the Nexus S can record in 720p.

Also rooting is like jailbreaking an iPhone. Although you can do much more than an iPhone. It gives you Superuser access to your phone. Which literally means you can change every aspect of your phone. Although if you aren't very familiar with smartphones I wouldn't recommend it. It can be very complicated.

And in my opinion the Nexus S is a much better device than the dhd. It has an amazing super amoled screen and the dhd screen looks horrid compared to it. Also the Nexus S has has a better gpu by far. Which is a must if you plan on using your phone for any graphic intensive games. Also the Nexus S will take much longer to go out of date than the dhd. Overall the Nexus S is a much better choice.

3. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    The Nexus S' camera hardware is not capable of recording in full 720p. It lacks an additional chip that allows for high speed processing of the image before it is bussed to the system. It is possible, however, that the modding community will either come up with a method for recording in 720p at 15fps, or a hardware mod in which the actual camera is swapped out with one that is capable of full 720p recording.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath for either, but to be honest, the 720x480 resolution it records in is still pretty great quality compared to other Smartphones.

4. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Wow I had no idea I thought it was like the Galaxy s phones where they were able to enable it with software. I had no idea it was missing proper hardware.

Tags: