1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Totally confused with People/Contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hughesy81, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hughesy81

hughesy81 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Hi all,

I've done a search and while there are lots of questions/answers, none really fit the bell for me...

I was setting up Google Voice search yesterday and when I went to say 'Call Mum Mobile' it just searched google for 'Call Mum Mobile'. I read that I needed to export my contacts in to my Google account which I did, and now, for most contacts, the voice search/dialler thing works.

What I don't understand is I now have the following when I go to People > View

Google
    Exchange ActiveSync
    Facebook for HTC Sense
    Facebook
    SIM
    Phone

I don't understand which contacts are which. For example, I added a contact directly on to the phone, and it's stored in Exchange ActiveSync. He's a colleague from work so I'm guessing it's looked up the company directory and decided that the contact should live here. Thing is, I can't move it to Google Contacts etc.

I now also have a ton of duplicate contacts, should I just be using Google Contacts and update them on the PC or phone?

**Edit** or, should I just use linked contacts to link Phone, Gmail and other contacts....?

Any help or advice would be very welcome!

Cheers
    Dave

Using a HTC Desire HD on Android 2.2

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Link your contacts, that should get rid of some of the duplicates. You can also merge via your gmail account online, that should help again.

If you filter which contacts you view, would that help matters? The Phone book was a bit of a mess to me when I first got the phone, but I got used to it.

3. hughesy81

hughesy81 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Hey - thanks for your reply. I think I've cracked it and you're pretty much right - I had duplicates, mainly between Google Contacts and my phone.

I followed these instructions and I'm now only using Google contacts and everything seems to be working fine, including linked facebook, twitter and google contacts.

How do I sync android phone contacts to my online gmail acct? - Gmail Help

Cheers
    Dave