1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Totally lost with rooting

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by Slazeus, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Slazeus

Slazeus Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime SM-G360F LTE. I've managed to root it using Kingo Root (or at least I think I have...) but I'm totally lost as what to do next?

All I'm looking for is a phone with less bloatware and some custom theme's, however I have no idea how to do this? I've searched a lot online and keep hearing about rom's? I'm not sure what these are (in respect to rooting) and a lot of information talking about rom compatibility, but I cant find anything that really explains anything about how check compatibility or indeed compatibility itself.

Thanks in advance for any help given to this noob lost in the root woods lol. :)

Advertisement

2. Slazeus

Slazeus Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    I'd be really really grateful for some advice!! thnks!

3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    A lot of people have been having trouble with other models of your phone after rooting. Mostly FRP lock ( Factory Reset Protection) and OEM Lock. I don't have your model phone so my advice would be to read up on those two items as they relate to your model.
    Always have a plan on how to return to stock if something goes wrong. I looked at Sammobile for your stock firmware. They list a F and a FY model. If you are sure you have the G360F,you can create a free account at Sammobile and download the stock firmware for your country and Carrier.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G360F/

Become familiar with Odin. It is the tool used to flash Samsung devices. This is a pretty good guide

http://androidcentral.us/2014/02/how-to-flash-firmware-using-odin-samsung-devices/
    Good advice can be found here on rooting.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/before-you-root-read-this.909662/
    Read all you can before you try anything, make sure if you flash anything it is for your specific model. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
    When in doubt,ask.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Slazeus.

In addition to (as always) @Jfalls63 excellent post, here's some other threads here at AF you might want to peruse and/or refer back to if/when needed:

Also, just to address a few things in your first post:

1. If you have a stock phone (and therefore a stock ROM [1]) and you root it, you can remove (scary, dangerous, potentially harmful) or disable/free (less scary, less dangerous) some of the "bloatware" on your device (with the understanding that modifying your device whilst rooted can be dangerous if you're not prepared (or able) to undo those changes or fix your problem.

2. When installing a custom ROM, you want to make sure that the ROM is meant and built for your device (really, it's kernel [2]) so that the all of the software in the ROM can see and find the expected hardware that the ROM was built for.

And to expand on Jfalls63 "ask" mantra--read, read, read (then ask, ask, ask ;) :)).

Cheers and I hope that helps a bit!

:)

[1] ROM = read-only memory which is meant to indicate the "flashable" portion of your phone where the operating system (or at least a good part of it) resides; it's basically a generic term that folks in the Android world use to connote another version of the Android operating system; therefore, a custom ROM is a custom, modified (i.e., outside of Google) version of Android.

[2] A kernel is the guts of the operating system and contains all of the device- and hardware-specific drivers and software, so it's very important to have a kernel that is compatible with your exact, specific device; conversely, its important to have a ROM whose version of Android matches that of the installed kernel (these two components are usually released, installed, and developed separately)

5. karthick1997

karthick1997 Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    simple
    1. Replace kingo root with supersu .
    2. Install xposed installer - helps in customising your phone .
    search about these in youtube for your model for proper guidance ..

Slazeus likes this.
  6. Slazeus

Slazeus Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    thanks for the info guys, I really am thankful :) i'll read up on your suggestions in depth before I decide to do anything, but may well In the end just upgrade my sd for more memory as it all sounds rather technical (an area I'm not strong in haha) and wouldn't want to risk un-reversible damage to my phone for a bit of space an some themes haha.
    thanks again for all the info guys, its helped a lot!

Jfalls63 likes this.