• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touch screen dead zone

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
My son's Droid X2 has a "dead" zone on the touch screen, about 1/2" vertical, across the entire width of the screen. I say "dead" because taps/touches in that area of the screen do register - just not where they should. Taps in that area register either above or below this "dead" zone. I tested the screen using Multi-Touch test and found that while dragging my finger into the "dead" zone, the tracking lines stop following my finger (but stay active - indicating a detected touch), and as I get to the middle of the "dead" zone, a touch registers on the other side, while the first touch is still registering. So when touching the middle of the "dead" zone, two touches are registered.

The fact that this zone has clearly defined boundaries makes me think it's a hardware issue, but the fact that touches register in that zone at all makes me think it might be something simple.

Any suggestions? Is there ANY chance that a factory reset might help?

MODS: I'm considering this to be a general touch screen issue not specifically related to the device model, so I posted in the Lounge rather than a device-specific forum.

A factory reset made no difference. In fact, I removed the screen protector during the subsequent test and while reapplying the screen protector, pressing on the lower part of the glass (below the display area) with a credit card to "squeegee" the screen protector caused multiple touches to register on the upper half of the screen.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones