• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touch screen is acting up

I am on leak v3.

Lately my touch screen has not been responding towards the top and now when I touch on a certain area it selects a completely different spot!

Anybody else have this going on?

This happens with a lot of Eris's when plugged into a wall charger. The higher current chargers create an electromagnetic field at the battery which interrupts the capacitive touch screen.

Your touch screen works BECAUSE your finger has an electromagnetic field. You can't use a pencil eraser to touch the touchscreen on your phone, it won't work, for this reason.

3 or 4 out of 7 of my Eris's had this problem, even with the HTC wall charger. Just don't use it while plugged into the wall. Charge it at night, when you go to bed, and when you're not using it.

Others have experienced this same thing:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/64043-eris-possessed.html?highlight=ghost

Reactions: adelieiam
Upvote 0
I am on leak v3.

Lately my touch screen has not been responding towards the top and now when I touch on a certain area it selects a completely different spot!

Anybody else have this going on?

Mine started doing that (when not plugged in - I rarely use my phone when it's plugged in, we both 'recharge' that the same time - it's plugged in and I sleep), a couple of days later it developed a completely dead spot on the bottom row under the two left icons. I called Verizon and after the usual factory reset conversation they sent me out a new (refurb) phone.

Upvote 0
definitely, mine has been doing the same. Lately it's been pushing random buttons of it's own accord... it's possessed or something! It used to freak out when I touched the screen, but now it does this whenever it pleases-- sometimes I just have to turn the whole thing off, so it doesn't end up calling all of my contacts while I am trying to charge it over-night.
I really don't get it.

For now, I'm just assuming that it's possessed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones