• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Touch Screen issues

My phone will randomly act as if I am touching the screen when I am not. Sort of in the middle about 2/3rds of the way down. It will type by itself, open apps, etc. and make the phone unusable. I was told sometimes the screens get stuck and you can massage them to fix it. This seems to work sometimes and only temporarily. I am using the Angry Bean rom but I think I was having this issue prior to flashing it. It also seems to happen more frequently at lower battery life but I'm not 100% sure it doesn't do it charged as well. I think my phone is over it's one year warranty by now and if it isn't I'm rooted anyway. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix it?

My phone will randomly act as if I am touching the screen when I am not. Sort of in the middle about 2/3rds of the way down. It will type by itself, open apps, etc. and make the phone unusable. I was told sometimes the screens get stuck and you can massage them to fix it. This seems to work sometimes and only temporarily. I am using the Angry Bean rom but I think I was having this issue prior to flashing it. It also seems to happen more frequently at lower battery life but I'm not 100% sure it doesn't do it charged as well. I think my phone is over it's one year warranty by now and if it isn't I'm rooted anyway. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix it?

You may have success using a protective screen cleaner/spray such as Staples Screen Cleaner and Protector. It puts a film on the screen.. annoying to me so I stopped using it on my hand held devices and only use it on my laptop.

Anyway, I've seen it reported somewhere that wiggy screens improve with the use of a screen protector that is not a piece of plastic.

If you try it and don't like it, it comes off readily with cotton swabs dabbed in rubbing alcohol.

Btw, have you tried the old catchall remedy of removing the battery, sd card and SIM card, then putting them back in and booting up?

Upvote 0
Yea, the EVO 3Ds have had these problems. Seems like it's only a select few though. My older EVOV4G had this problem. It was really bad when it was cold out. Eventually my screen died, however, I was able to get the Plum one as a replacement (Both were Sprint branded). Seems better.

The only thing that would help was turning the screen off and on. If you enable the dev option to see screen touches, you will see what exactly is happening. I don't think any particular ROM helped the issue, so I deemed it a hardware malfunction.

Upvote 0
Would a new digitizer fix this issue? Virgin Mobile told me they would send a replacement phone in 7 to 10 days. Two weeks later I call and the order was never placed and now the phone is out of warranty. I ended up getting them to give me a $60 credit. I was about to pull the trigger on an S3 but my service has been terrible lately and I may switch carriers. I would like to wait until the Nexus 5 drops so I would like to get a few more months out of this phone, if possible. On eBay I can get a new digitizer and bezel (this just bent and I had to pull it off) for like $20 or I can drop $40 on a whole new front, LCD and all. Any input?

Upvote 0
I thought I had this issue but it was all me. Are you in a humid environment and your palms are oily and/or sweaty? That could be the case, also if your screen is all smudged up it might be the reason why. Clean the residue, wash your hands with soap, be in an environment that isn't too hot or wet and you're set.

(The reason I figured this out was because my phone is useless in my parents' room, its the hot room of the house)

Upvote 0
I know for me that I was able to rule this out. I enabled show touches in the development menu and found that when it does happen it is a box about 1cm tall and as wide as the phone at the bottom of my screen. It usually goes away after a few minutes. I haven't asked over in the angry Bean thread to see if anyone has had this issue yet.

Upvote 0
I think I'll try to flash back to Mobster and see if I still get the issue. It usually last for a few minutes here too. I try to clean/massage the screen which sometimes seems to work but it's hard to tell. I reboot usually fixes it as well. I would likely say it isn't a dirty screen because it always happens in the same location.

Upvote 0
I flashed to Mobster Remix and the screen was fine for a day or two then I got the same issue briefly. Pretty sure it's a hardware issue, not an issue with Angry Bean. I went and pulled the trigger on a Galaxy S4 and switched over to MetroPCS. Coverage has been better and the hardware is great. Not a huge fan of TouchWiz but I don't want to flash to an AOSP rom and lose Wifi Calling as my apartment is the only place I get poor coverage so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones