1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Touchscreen consistently (and completely) unresponsive on wake up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cgom1, Sep 23, 2017.

1. cgom1

cgom1 Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    Hi guys,

This problem has me stumped, so I figured I'd consult the hive mind.

The touchscreen works fine after the phone is turned on - be that for a continuous period of 30 seconds or 30 minutes. However, if/when it goes to sleep, the touchscreen becomes completely unresponsive on wake up. The screen turns on, rotates, and the physical buttons work fine. I figure no touch input is acknowledged, because if I tap the screen after it dims nothing happens; but if I press a physical button, then full brightness is restored.

I have been looking around for a solution for some time, but none of the three I found appear to be working, ie:

- Ensuring the Wi-Fi's set to be permanently on (no change on any of the settings)
    - Changing the ROM (problem appeared in stock ROM, it now sports LineageOS)
    - Changing the digitizer (changed the entire digitizer/display assembly, but problem is the same on old or salvaged screen)

At this point, I am not sure what else I can try. Any ideas would be very much welcomed.

Advertisement

2. ItzHaunT

ItzHaunT Member
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    I
    Is it updated to the latest version? I had similar issues with my LG X Power until I broke down and did the latest system update.

3. cgom1

cgom1 Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    I am pretty sure the phone had the latest firmware and (stock) ROM available when the problem first appeared. I just re-flashed a slightly newer build of LineageOS, but no joy.

I'll give it a go in the other direction and try to downgrade firmware to an earlier version, to see if that makes any difference. Cheers for the suggestion.

4. cgom1

cgom1 Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    Right. I've gone down, sideways and up with firmware (from XperiFirm), but to no avail. The touchscreen still works only on first boot and stops working after the screen is shut off. The one difference I found is that the touchscreen is not working in the recovery anymore. I suspect there may be a hardware fault, the diagnosis of which is evidently above my paygrade.

Of course, if anyone has suggestions for things to try, I'm all ears.

5. ItzHaunT

ItzHaunT Member
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    It does sound like a hardware issue. The only other thing I could think of would be a serious software bug, but that seems unlikely with as many times you have updated/downgraded it. Try factory resetting it, if that doesn't work it might be time to get a new phone.