1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Touchscreen unresponsive?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JRoz, Dec 25, 2012.

1. JRoz

JRoz Lurker

Hello, I recently purchased the Galaxy S3 and about a week into owning it, the touchscreen suddenly stopped responding. The phone boots and I get reception and notifications, but I can't unlock the phone because the touchscreen doesn't work. I didn't drop it or get it wet, so I'm not sure exactly why it stopped working. I tried factory defaults and hard booting it, nothing. Any solutions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF Jroz!
    So basically, you cannot get into the phone at all at this point? And you have tried to pull the battery while the phone is on, wait about a minute, then reinsert battery, and power up?:)

3. JRoz

JRoz Lurker

Thank you! Yes, I've tried taking the battery out and letting it sit for over 3 hours, and I still have no response on the touchscreen. No access to the phone at all :(

4. Mikestony

VIP Member

The only thing I can suggest is either be bring it back to the store or try to reset it in recovery. Do you know how to get into recovery?

5. JRoz

JRoz Lurker

I believe I already reset it in recovery, recovery being the menu that comes up when you boot the phone while holding the volume up button and the middle button, unless I am mistaken and it's something else? Thanks for the response!

6. Mikestony

VIP Member

Yes that is correct. hmmmmm, I am not quite familiar with how to guide you thru anything via Odin, as I am new to this phone also. I have also rooted mine, so the only thing I can suggest is returning it for a new phone there buddy.
    Unless someone else who knows something else can chime in:)

7. JRoz

JRoz Lurker

Yeah, this was just bad timing for me since it's christmas day and all of the verizon stores are closed and I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow morning without music or GPS now XD Thanks for the help, merry christmas!

8. airtioteclint

airtioteclint Android Expert

It sounds like a hardware issue to me. Returning for warranty is probably the best option. Sucks cause stores might be closed today. :/

9. GrandWazoo

GrandWazoo Lurker

Hi Everybody, I seem to have the same problem here! Can anyone advise me?

On Monday a couple of times my touchscreen stopped working, but was fine after I pulled the battery and restarted. Then yesterday afternoon it froze up for good. I've tried a hard reset using power+home+volume up, bot nothing changes. The menu and back soft keys still respond, but not the screen. I did download this game from the Play Store yesterday, after it had started playing up but obviously before it went kaput.

I bought the phone off eBay in April, so no warranty!!! But it has been fine up to this point. Apart from me breaking the sim tray with an nano-sim adaptor a while back. Was gonna get round to fixing that yesterday but no point now :(

It's an international I9300, can't remember what version of Android it's running!

Any help would be most welcome thanks!

10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

The warranty should be cool mate unless the sim tray thing is noticable :thumbup:

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews