1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Tough Case vs Pop Case

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by deaglan1, Sep 10, 2011.

1. deaglan1

deaglan1 Lurker
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi all, Newbie here. I wish to purchase a tough case for Galaxy S2 - one that will protect phone following accidental drops. I note that Case Mate offer a "Tough Case" and also a "Pop Case". In terms of protecting the phone from drops, does anyone know whether the "Tough Case" offers greater protection than the "Pop Case."? Other factors I would like to know about re this comparison are: Bulkiness, Slipiness, Aesthetics. (The Pop model does have an integtrated kick stand). Both cases are of comparable pricing.

Advertisement

2. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    EarthCaust Photography, Volunteer, Enviromental Re
    UK- Edinburgh, Brazil - 2 hrs from Rio de Janeiro
    I have the tough case and really love it. Has a great feel to it and its slim plus a good lips around the screen. I also highly recomend a zagg screen protecter. Ignore people which say gout dont need one because of gorilla glass, its been proven in forum that the screen is not scratchproof by itself.

deaglan1 likes this.
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I cant really comment on the pop case as I haven't tried it but I am a big fan of the tough case. Not only does it protect from drops, but you can accidentally boot your phone down the road (tried to cushion the fall once when drunk) without damaging it.

deaglan1 likes this.
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Ignore the people who say you should put a screen protector on :D.

This has been discussed several times here and if you want your phone to look and feel as if it's been wrapped in a second hand condom, go ahead.

If you don't want your phone to look awful, you have no option but to avoid screen protectors. All of them suck (although some of them suck slightly less than others) and are next to impossible to apply without bubbles, bits of dust and lifting edges. I have never seen a phone with a screen protector (and I have seen plenty) where it wasn't immediately obvious that the screen was covered in a horrible cheap bit of plastic.

The screen on the SGS2 feels great. Can't you just be careful? That policy has served me well ever since my first mobile phone and that's getting on for 20 years ago. I just sold my iPhone 3G and it didn't have a mark on it after three years of daily use.

5. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    EarthCaust Photography, Volunteer, Enviromental Re
    UK- Edinburgh, Brazil - 2 hrs from Rio de Janeiro
    Not all ppl are like you though and accidents can happen for the slightest of reasons. And not all screen protectors are as bad as you say Zagg is one of the best and its so easy to apply with no bubble etc

6. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    It's true that accidents can still happen but screen protectors don't help if you drop your phone and crack the screen.

A friend of mine has a Zagg screen protector on her iPhone 4 and it's true, she doesn't have any bubbles but it's still obvious that it has a screen protector and I really don't like the way it feels.

One of the really great things about the SGS2 (and one I always taunt my iPhone owning friends about) is the oleophobic coating. The screen doesn't pick up fingerprints easily and when it does, it is easy to clean. No screen protector can boast that.

I completely accept that Gorilla glass is not completely scratch proof, but by putting a screen protector on you are bringing about the very outcome you are trying to avoid. If, and only if, I get a scratch on my screen it will look (and possibly feel) bad. If I put a screen protector on I can guarantee that it will always look and feel bad no matter what.

This is clearly a matter of personal taste, but I stick to what I said, all phones with screen protectors look and feel horrible. Some just look and feel less horrible than others.

7. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Computer Tech & Audio Engineer
    Peterborough - UK
    I have the shiny 'Barely There' Case-Mate and I feel that's all I need for the phone. It covers the back from scratches when I put it down and has lips up the sides to offer some form of screen protection when facing down, even though I don't do the latter.

It's a very good looking piece of equipment that I just don't want to cover in bulky cases and rubbish screen protectors. I polish, gently, my screen once a day and generally look after it instead of treating like a very expensive hammer!

8. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Check out otterbox cases. I'm very pleased with my commuter case.

9. sophiemith

sophiemith Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    OL
    Hong Kong
    It seemed only the model name. I like Pop case.

10. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I don't like the draggy feel of some screen protectors (they seem almost silicon like) but the harder plastic ones feel exactly like the screen itself. Luckily, most of the cheap ebay ones are like that so I can get a bundle of five or ten at a time and change them regularly. As long as you clean the screen properly you won't get bubbles.