1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Track Phone Call Usage Based On Contact Group

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by webmonk, Aug 16, 2016.

1. webmonk

webmonk Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2016
    I use one mobile phone for both home and work. I own my own (one man) business and it was reccommend by my accountant to track my phone usage so I could deduct the percent dedicated to work. Easier said than done.

I started lookIng into some of the call tracking apps to find one that met this need. While there are plenty, most seem to focus on tracking the contacts' calls for billing purposes. They deal more with individual contacts for shorter time intervals. However, I need a more broad solution. I would like an app that tracks and aggregates call stats based on groups. I would select a group (which I've put all my work contacts into) and it would tell me the total time used for the specified period (a year). I then have it give the same stat for all calls and I can compute my percentage.

App descriptions don't always shed light on all the features. Does anyone know of any apps that do this, or something equivalent?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    uh, that is asking a lot...
    yes, an accountant would like to have that kind of information, but I don't think you are going to find an app that will do it.

your best solution is two phones. One that is totally dedicated to business. if it is used, it is 100% deductible.

If your personal life does not require a lot of phone time, look at one of the cheaper prepay plans...
    there is at least one service that gives you 100 free minutes per month... I forget who that is, but a retired couple I know use it.
    all they want it for is 911, doctors, and limited family calls. It is Totally Free to them

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    True Phone will show you how much each contact is used over the long haul.... but you have to do the work manually.

It will also let you export your contacts by groups...
    write to the developer of that one, I suspect he just might see your need as something he can address.

* Dialer: True Phone Dialer

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Get a copy of the old Palm Pilot Desktop Windows application.
    http://download.cnet.com/Palm-Desktop/3000-2094_4-10020951.html

It can import "contacts.vcf" files
    then you can use that to look at who you call by groups.

there is an app that will retrieve your phone carrier's monthly bill, and it is save it to a desktop app.
    here it is: https://filethis.com/

I use it to pull my Verizon Monthly bill and it stores it automatically onto my computer.
    it will also save it to Evernote or other note type app.

you can use the output from that download, and port it to a spreadsheet...