• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trackball not fully working. Opinions?

leebsammy

Mar 5, 2010
Today i notice that my trackball can't scroll left anymore. it can scroll all other directions. I'm currently running 2.1v2. i was wondering if i go in to the store and just complain about my trackball maybe i could get a replacement? i mean how thoroughly do they check the phone? If i could get a replacement with 1.5 that would be nice. i could root. opinions..?

you may be able to switch it out...if not...is it really needed?
That's what I was thinking. But then again, I do kinda use mine. When the phone is on the nightstand charging, and I wonder if I have a missed call/text, I just look to see if the ball is blinking. Wonder if the OP's ball still blinks.......And why does that sound kinda stupid when I look at it?

Upvote 0
I've posted this in a couple other places, but I'm having the opposite problem. My trackball randomly (usually when I need to do something important with my phone) scrolls left on its own. It makes typing and all sorts of other things very difficult. I'm on leaked 2.1 v.2. I want to take it to a VZW store for a replacement, but I'm worried that my warranty is voided because of the leaked 2.1.
So I'm waiting to see if we ever get an OTA, and if we do, whether the problem will be fixed. If neither happens, I will be taking my phone back to the store.

Upvote 0
Happened to me twice on my Hero, first it was left, and just today, scroll UP stopped working. What I do is, get a can of compressed air (with the straw) and put your phone on the table. Lightly press down on your trackball until you see a tiny gap between your phone casing and the trackball. Put the straw right up to it and give it a good shot of air from a couple different angles. Has worked both times for me.

Upvote 0
Yeah i'm guessing its just abit of grime built up underneath, sorta like the ball on the bottom of your mouse. Used to have to clean them all the time before laser mice came out. I had that problem but only when playing midnight bowling, usually just a quick scroll in either direction would get it back where i wanted it.

Upvote 0
Today i notice that my trackball can't scroll left anymore. it can scroll all other directions. I'm currently running 2.1v2. i was wondering if i go in to the store and just complain about my trackball maybe i could get a replacement? i mean how thoroughly do they check the phone? If i could get a replacement with 1.5 that would be nice. i could root. opinions..?

that's crazy I got the same probem. Its getting so annoying!

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem for quite a while. It usually happens when the phone is plugged in. HTC says it's a hardware problem having to do with the port directly under the trackball. I've been told by HTC and Verizon that 2.1 is not a supported version for this phone so it does in fact void the warranty. There does seem to be a work around, however. Apparently you can send the phone to HTC and they can flash it back to 1.5. Then you can do a warranty replacement through Verizon. That suggestion, by the way, came from HTC's hardware support.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones