• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trackball not lighting up on Droid Eris

d4rkpyro

Lurker
Aug 30, 2011
Alabama
Ever since I sent in the first Eris that was messing up on me, the trackball doesn't light up for notifications on any of the replacement phones I've gotten. Just the LED next to the earpiece. Is there any way I can set it back to the trackball lighting up when I get a notification or is there an app that would allow me to do so?

As far as I recall, the only time the trackball lights for notifications are for sms messages, missed calls, and voice mail (I think). No other apps light the trackball - they flash the LED on the top right instead (and those stop flashing after a while, too, for some odd reason.) This changed from the original 1.5 Android build on the Eris, IIRC.

Upvote 0
As far as I recall, the only time the trackball lights for notifications are for sms messages, missed calls, and voice mail (I think). No other apps light the trackball - they flash the LED on the top right instead (and those stop flashing after a while, too, for some odd reason.) This changed from the original 1.5 Android build on the Eris, IIRC.

So, what you're saying, is that the stock messaging app would be the only app that would utilize the trackball functionality as far as SMS notifications go? And that since I use GO SMS Pro, that's why the trackball doesn't not light up for new SMS messages?

Upvote 0
So, what you're saying, is that the stock messaging app would be the only app that would utilize the trackball functionality as far as SMS notifications go? And that since I use GO SMS Pro, that's why the trackball doesn't not light up for new SMS messages?

I don't use Go SMS Pro myself, but I suspect that may be right. You could try turning on notifications in the stock HTC messaging app temporarily just to confirm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones