• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tracking good for something

The Rich See a Different Internet Than the Poor: Scientific American

They can market all they want - I have images turned off. Do get a lot of spam with supposedly good offers - wouldn't know - just JHD it. Never open it.

I happen to know what I want, if it isn't available, I'll either wait or forget about it. Substitution just to buy something doesn't work for me.

Upvote 0

They can market all they want - I have images turned off. Do get a lot of spam with supposedly good offers - wouldn't know - just JHD it. Never open it.

I happen to know what I want, if it isn't available, I'll either wait or forget about it. Substitution just to buy something doesn't work for me.

I am aware of Google's variable pricing mechanism and related patents. It is said (Wired Magazine?) the prices people pay for some things varies depending on how much Google knows about your income and other factors. Google (apparently) patented the technology that makes me pay more than perhaps you will pay for the same product.

Found this example and I am sure there are many more examples, both old and new:

Brevet US7979318 - Method, system and software product for creating variable pricing - Google

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have more of the concern regarding telling me where to drive.

Ofcause some roads are jamed. There are side roads with bunch of lights and stop signs, but in reality, its faster travel to stay on highway. Have anyone been in little italy in Boston? Its a hassle to drive SmartForTwo there. Pretty dumb city for this experimental research.

Upvote 0

Me no likee this part::mad:

" last September, Google received a patent on technology
that lets a company dynamically price electronic content. For instance, it
can push the base price of an e-book up if it determines you are more
likely to buy that particular item than an average user; conversely, it can
adjust the price down as an incentive if you are judged less likely to
purchase. And you won't even know you are paying more than others for
the exact same item."

Upvote 0
All marketing would be drooling. I have almost everything I want, and I only buy after lots of research. Now I mostly need accessories and supplies. The sites that supply those articles are niche.

Since I haven't bought an ebook, and won't buy from Google, they'd never know.
I won't buy from Amazon or B&N. There are other smaller sellers - Baen is one. So is Booksamillion.

On apps - I've never bought a game except solitaire. Why would they think otherwise? That's why I don't buy books, movies or music from Google.

I mostly use the free stuff and creative commons. I like Sci-Fi and how-to books.
If it's old or used, I use Alibris for hard copy.

Didn't someone complain about 2 different prices for a Google app on this forum?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones