1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tracking Kids Phones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by adam pascall, Feb 13, 2019.

1. adam pascall

adam pascall Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2019
    Hi, apologies if this has already been covered, I did have a look around but couldn't find an answer.

My wife and I are looking for a way to track our kids locations through their mobiles. I'm aware there are plenty of apps available, the problem being that they all seem to rely on data, our kids always use their data allowance up pretty quick so this isn't ideal.
    I've tried a few that the Internet tells me rely solely on GPS, but these always seem to require data too.
    We both have Samsung mobiles, the kids all have iPhones.
    Also, we're not secretly doing it, the kids are aware so it doesn't have to be any type of covert app.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Advertisement

Gloria Baker likes this.
  2. Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Male
    Bucharest, Romania
    The best parental control app I know of is Mobile Fence. It's really, really awesome and gives you control over anything you can think of.
    But the kid's phone must be able to send and receive data somehow, mustn't it? Otherwise how could this work? I mean, his/her phone will know where it is thanks to GPS, but how would you know it?

How about limiting the amount of data the kid is allowed to use in a month? You set a limit that's lower than the monthly allowance, so that there's always a reserve left for the parenting control app.:thinking:

#2 Vlad Soare, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:52 AM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 1:57 AM
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    As above: there's no magic, so without an internet connection there's no way of reporting. It's as simple as that.

4. adam pascall

adam pascall Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2019
    Thanks for answer Vlad. I'll try that out. The data limit is a great idea. And yes Hadron, I'm aware there's no magic. I thought there mane some kind of sms system available... Or maybe God could help out. There is a God right? Thanks for you input anyway.

5. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    You could try an app similar to Tasker. I use MacroDroid, and there is a function to send location.
    The trigger is SMS received, from a specific contact with a specific message. The action is share location to a specific contact. Location is obtained by the device GPS location.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You might check with your carrier. I used to see carriers advertising parental tracking using the towers rather than GPS or data, but it was a pay service and didn't want to know where my kids were *that* badly. ;)

MoodyBlues and PitCarver like this.
  7. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Jan 5, 2018
    Male
    Writer, artist.
    Urbana ,Illinois.
    I am not touching religion on this one, this is I believe is mostly whatever flown though, besides its mostly an android fourm.

8. Gloria Baker

Gloria Baker Lurker
    None

Friday
    Hi,
    We have chosen an app called mspy for our boys, they are almost 14 years old. It helps view a list of all apps installed on their phones and block those we don’t wish them to use. Also you can track the current GPS location of your kids phones. Set safe zones like “home”, “school” or “Grandma’s house”. Receive alerts each time your kid enters or leaves a zone. It is very handy actually and with pretty simple interface. It works well for our family.

MoodyBlues likes this.