1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tracking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FollowingSeas, Mar 9, 2019.

1. FollowingSeas

FollowingSeas Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Male
    I only have the phone for emergencies. Can you recommend the apps, settings... where I can turn off the phones tracking system? I do not need to know where I went last nor do I want every hacker in the world to know where I went. A little privacy would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Start by just turning off location in the settings. Before doing that you may wish to set the location mode to "device only" (the options which use wireless network location, called "low power" and "high accuracy", share more information about your location) - this is just in case you do want to turn location on temporarily, so it will come on in the mode that discloses the least information.

Go into your Google account's settings and make sure that Location History is off and your Web and App activity is off (if the latter is on Google can record where you used apps, and so get a location history through the back door. They've made this more explicit in their documentation since there was a fuss last year about it being less than obvious and many people not realising).

As far as hackers go, make sure your Google account is properly secured (e.g. turn on two-factor authentication, make sure no devices you don't want are authorised to access it). The easiest way to hack an Android phone is by hacking the owner's Google saccount. Then be careful where you install apps from (don't download from random sites), which apps you install (check they aren't asking for unnecessary permissions before installing, though it does require some knowledge to judge which permissions are necessary, since there are legitimate uses or even requirements that aren't always obvious), and avoid developers whose business model is monetising their user's data (so no apps from Cheetah Mobile, for example).

Of course nothing you do can stop your network knowing where you are (apart from turning the phone off or leaving it at home), but that's true of a 1990s dumb phone as well. So you can keep script kiddies out of your account, but don't kid yourself that you can hide from the authorities if they want to follow you.

psionandy, FollowingSeas and Dannydet like this.
  3. FollowingSeas

FollowingSeas Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Male
    Thank you for your very informative response. I have always disliked devices recommending where I should go or do because of past activities. My phone is for emergencies only. Thanks again and have a great day.

Dannydet likes this.