• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root trade motion for connect.

Actually its true. My connect with stock ROM de-bloated with the Black Plague kernel, with two cpu profiles (high performance with screen on, battery saving with screen off) running juice defender, with JIT enabled and a slim high cap battery off a LG Viper (not only do the factory batteries for the Connect suck and overheat, but the Viper one has almost 500 mAh more capacity) I could easily get 3 days of idle time and about 6-10 hours of heavy gaming. And with said tweaks (and some other kernel and build.prop tweaks) it played every game I threw at it just as fast and smooth as my Motion can with better graphics. The Motion just doesnt have enough of a hardware improvement to make it better than the Connect, so unless you have to have the smallest phone available with decent hardware, the Connect is the better choice hands down.

This is a very modded Connect, just a stock rooted Motion with bloat removed can what you have stated and more. If the Motion, had its bootloader unlocked and had custom ROMs, I'm sure it would get close to 2 days of battery, and could *almost* be compared to the SGS3 in terms of performance and battery.

Upvote 0
This is a very modded Connect, just a stock rooted Motion with bloat removed can what you have stated and more. If the Motion, had its bootloader unlocked and had custom ROMs, I'm sure it would get close to 2 days of battery, and could *almost* be compared to the SGS3 in terms of performance and battery.

It wasnt all that modded (and mine did not have a custom ROM installed, too buggy, although it did get even better battery life with a ROM installed). It was pretty much the same mods my Motion has (de-bloated, "overclocked", CPU profiles for screen on, screen off, JIT enabled-which any ICS phone has enabled by default, kernel and build.prop tweaks, Juice defender and the bigger battery. 200mAh thank you to who said that, but it wasnt just the extra capacity, Im convinced that the stock Connect batteries were defective, almost everyone with that phone had overheating problems but the stock Viper battery that I had NEVER overheated), the only thing my Connect had that my Motion does not is the aftermarket Kernel, but all that did was allow me to raise the CPU speed to the chipsets factory value (1.5Ghz same as the Motion).

And my motion does get 2 days or more of idle time (right now Im at 75% battery with 16 hours on battery), same as my Connect (despite having a larger battery than both the Connect and Viper). Everyone thinks the Motion gets WAY more battery life than the Connect, and while stock that is true, if you optimize the Connect like ICS has been optimized (JIT compiler, and some kernel and build.prop tweaks that ICS comes with but GB doesnt) then they get about the same.

Upvote 0
It wasnt all that modded (and mine did not have a custom ROM installed, too buggy, although it did get even better battery life with a ROM installed). It was pretty much the same mods my Motion has (de-bloated, "overclocked", CPU profiles for screen on, screen off, JIT enabled-which any ICS phone has enabled by default, kernel and build.prop tweaks, Juice defender and the bigger battery. 200mAh thank you to who said that, but it wasnt just the extra capacity, Im convinced that the stock Connect batteries were defective, almost everyone with that phone had overheating problems but the stock Viper battery that I had NEVER overheated), the only thing my Connect had that my Motion does not is the aftermarket Kernel, but all that did was allow me to raise the CPU speed to the chipsets factory value (1.5Ghz same as the Motion).

And my motion does get 2 days or more of idle time (right now Im at 75% battery with 16 hours on battery), same as my Connect (despite having a larger battery than both the Connect and Viper). Everyone thinks the Motion gets WAY more battery life than the Connect, and while stock that is true, if you optimize the Connect like ICS has been optimized (JIT compiler, and some kernel and build.prop tweaks that ICS comes with but GB doesnt) then they get about the same.

But I'm saying stock kernel, no overclocking, none of that other stuff, just stock with root and bloat removed, how would the Connect fare against the Motion? I have all bets on Motion.

Gingerbread vs Ice Cream Sandwich; Good Screen vs "meh" Screen; 1.2Ghz Dual Core Snapdragon (put number here) Processor vs 1.5Ghz Dual Core Snapdragon 4 Processor ;

When you get down to it, spec wise the Motion and Connect are very close, but I feel the Motion would out do the Connect any day because of the S4 Processor and ICS.

And how the hell you got so good battery life?! 0.o I get barley 10 Hours....

Upvote 0
But I'm saying stock kernel, no overclocking, none of that other stuff, just stock with root and bloat removed, how would the Connect fare against the Motion? I have all bets on Motion.

Gingerbread vs Ice Cream Sandwich; Good Screen vs "meh" Screen; 1.2Ghz Dual Core Snapdragon (put number here) Processor vs 1.5Ghz Dual Core Snapdragon 4 Processor ;

When you get down to it, spec wise the Motion and Connect are very close, but I feel the Motion would out do the Connect any day because of the S4 Processor and ICS.

And how the hell you got so good battery life?! 0.o I get barley 10 Hours....

no one is arguing a stock connect is better. but you can at least make that arguement that a modded connect can compete, does a modded motion compete with my sgs3? we wont ever know :p

Upvote 0
That's cruel lol but I'll live with it either way this phone is good as it is.

Sent from my typewriter.

i dont blame you, my galaxy nexus stock was absolutly fine for everythign i needed and that was last years hardware. im sure there is a few things you would like to change but really and truly these phones are plenty fast enough and can handle whatever you may need

Upvote 0
It really makes me laugh when someone says they like gingerbread over ICS for Apps2SD...

Why would you laugh? I wish I still had my motion (Took a drown) for the 5GB internal space...

I am stuck on Samsung Galaxy Previal (800 MHz Processor , 1500 MAH Battery , Sucky 3.2" Horrible screen , Delays always that take forever , And I cant root it consider I have a Ubuntu Laptop and the rooting process is mad complicated! But it does have a nice ROM available!)

Upvote 0
i would keep the motion... sure the connect has some more modding options, but it has also been out for around a year or so (maybe less, but not much less...) the motion takes everything i throw at it (picked one up for the gf.) if it wasn't for the small screen i would've sold my esteem and picked one up myself... the video recording is amazing for a phone... 1080p on a $150 phone??? wow!

Reactions: tonylc74
Upvote 0
The connect is a peice of crap, too many problems, motion eats it for brkfst, lunch n dinner:cool:

YES, it is :D I have been screwing with my Connect for months, flashing anything I can find other than stock ZVA. I love the display on it, but it's just too damn buggy for me. My Motion works so perfectly that I haven't even considering rooting it yet. Yeah, that good. I only have to power cycle it once every other week or so. Connect I need to P/C every morning; otherwise no service or it's all kinds of stupid...

The Motion, to me is an all around great phone, just... that... display LOL :D Only when I'm browsing the web or FB, if I'm watching Netflix on it the display is comparable to the Connect running the same app!

Reactions: tonylc74
Upvote 0
Why would you laugh? I wish I still had my motion (Took a drown) for the 5GB internal space...

I am stuck on Samsung Galaxy Previal (800 MHz Processor , 1500 MAH Battery , Sucky 3.2" Horrible screen , Delays always that take forever , And I cant root it consider I have a Ubuntu Laptop and the rooting process is mad complicated! But it does have a nice ROM available!)

Nobody wants to go back to gingerbread but i would prefer having the connect to build a ics or jb rom for it wich you will have fully working

the reason why is because Apps2SD is only needed in 2.3 and before...it is not needed in ICS at all...there are workarounds that fix any storage issues you have

and neither of you read my statement apparently....but *shrug*

Upvote 0
i never traded. it. what happen i sold my motion for crack. then i went sane again and bought an other motion for 50 bucks
1544517-lolwut.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones