• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trading DINC for D2

I got my DINC last Friday, and went to the VZW store before lunch today. The D2 screen looks exactly like the DINC screen (and the specs are the same). 2.2 is WAY faster than my DINC. Side-by-side speed tests of downloading web pages, running Robo Defense, and pulling up the Home screen from within the settings menu confirmed the speed difference.

Virtually the same physical size. Multi-touch screen. Swype. Docks for the desk and car.

Sure wish I'd waited a week. Now I have to pay the $35 restocking fee to get the better phone.

Quick - before I make the switch - any reason why not?

Except the D2 has the docks, which I like. And supposedly better battery life. and a physical keyboard, but the screen is the same size d I'm getting used to the touchscreen (the DINC is my first touchscreen).

I used the Droid 2 today. The keyboard is a great improvement, but it still isn't efficient for me.

I am actually going over the Droid X. I find that it is easier to text efficiently on the 4.3" display then the physical keyboard on the D2. They should have them in store, go try them out. Its the best way to make a decision.

Upvote 0
I just got a Dx, thinking that the bigger screen & improved on-screen keyboard would make me forget about the physical keyboard on the D1, but it's just not to be. Gotta have the hardware keyboard, I'm a much faster typist that way.

That, and I use some apps that just work better in landscape mode, but the on-screen keyboard takes up WAAAY too much screen real estate that way.

So...I have a D2 showing up tomorrow. In 10 years, I've never taken advantage of Verizon's 30 day guarantee until now. And it'll be worth the restocking fee.

Upvote 0
OK, so I just got my D2, but I really thought hard about getting the DInc. So I made a comparison chart of the two

Weight: DInc= 4.6 oz; D2= 5.96 oz --> This is really isn't that big of a deal since the droid is not "heavy" by any means, in fact it feels solid and will built.
**Winner: tie (slight advantage to DInc)**

Battery: DInc= Talk- 5.2 hours and standby- 6 days; D2= talk- 9.6 hours and standby- 13.1 days --> D2s battery lasts much longer than DIncs. This is really D2's only big advantage over DInc (besides the keyboard). **Winner: D2**

Display: DInc= OLED 480X800; D2= LCD 480X854 --> I don't think there is any difference between the D1 screen and the D2 screen. I just took my D2 out into direct sunlight and I could still see the screen clearly (it was much better than my old LG Dare). Many reviews have said that you can see DIncs screen better in sunlight than D1.
**Winner: tie (slight advantage to DInc)**

Screen size: DInc= 3.7 inches; D2= 3.7 inches
**Winner: tie**

Processer: DInc= 1000mHz snapdragon; D2= 1000mHz (forgot the name...oops:thinking:) --> I really don't know about all the speedtests and numbers, but from what I'm hearing they're about the same. When DInc upgrades to froyo I don't think they'll be any difference between them, IMO.
**Winner: tie**

Memory: DInc= 6.4 GB; D2= 8 GB --> This really isn't a big deal since you could always add more memory with micro SD cards
**Winner: D2**

Camera: DInc= 8 MP; D2= 5 MP --> This really wasn't a big deal for me since I already have a 12.2 MP point and shoot camera; plus cell phone cameras can't really beat stand alone point and shoot cameras...at least not yet:).
**Winner: DInc**

Interface: DInc= HTC Sence; D2= toned down version of motoblur --> I played around my friends DInc and I really liked Sence. Also, many reviewers likes Sence better than Motoblur. The D2 has a more tuned down "less in your face" version of motoblur. It's still not as good as Sence, but it works for me and I seem to like it!
**Winner: DInc**

Physical keyboard: DInc= No; D2= Yes --> This is really the only advantage to trading in your DInc for the D2, IMO. The redisigned keyboard is a lot better than the D1 and I'm going to use a lot, especially for typing long emails and messages.
**Winner D2**

Design: This is really up to you. Personally, I love DInc's design (all of the new HTC's, really). I wasn't too crazy about the silver and blue on the D2 when I first heard about it, but now that I have it I really like it, I think it fits the D2 well.
**Winner: beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it's completly up to you:)**

So there you have it, not a whole lot of difference between the two. I thought for hours which one I was going to get. I choose D2 because I could get it now (with DInc I would have to order it b/c my verizon store didn't have any). Also, the people at verizon told me that, for whatever reason, Motorola phones get better signal reception than HTC phones do. I live in a rural area, so I need all the reception I can get:).

So, should you switch? It's really your call. If you REALLY want a QWERTY keyboard than I might switch. If not, I see no reason to switch because both inside and outside they're really similiar. I got the D2 and love it but I think I would have been just as happy with the DInc.

Hope this helps and best of luck:)

Upvote 0
I used the Droid 2 today. The keyboard is a great improvement, but it still isn't efficient for me.

I am actually going over the Droid X. I find that it is easier to text efficiently on the 4.3" display then the physical keyboard on the D2. They should have them in store, go try them out. Its the best way to make a decision.

Yeah, I would have to agree. I just got back from VZW myself after playing around with the D-Inc, D2 and Dx and I was not impressed with the D2 at all. One of the first demo units seemed to not respond well to touch, and would somehow grab the top slide down menu on accident, even though my finger was in the middle of the phone swiping left to right. The other demo unit, did respond well, but had the same issues with swiping left to right.

The Dx was the most impressive as both demo units functioned the same. The larger screen also made the touchscreen keyboard very user friendly.

I plan on ordering my Dx tomorrow from online, since it is cheaper up front. The store is giving 100 rebates, where as online its a instant rebate. Sad part is that it is back ordered until the 30th now. Yesterday it was the until the 23rd, but after looking online today its been delayed even further.

Upvote 0
I got my DINC last Friday, and went to the VZW store before lunch today. The D2 screen looks exactly like the DINC screen (and the specs are the same). 2.2 is WAY faster than my DINC. Side-by-side speed tests of downloading web pages, running Robo Defense, and pulling up the Home screen from within the settings menu confirmed the speed difference.

Virtually the same physical size. Multi-touch screen. Swype. Docks for the desk and car.

Sure wish I'd waited a week. Now I have to pay the $35 restocking fee to get the better phone.

Quick - before I make the switch - any reason why not?

if you dont use the physical keyboard then there is no reason to switch and you can wait until 2.2 is out for the inc and then it will be just as fast

Upvote 0
I wasn't digging the feel of the keyboard on the D2.. sad, because I had high hopes for it.

I'm not sure if it would get better with break-in.. but am i just that spoiled with my BB Tour's keyboard?

Honestly, I was hoping their keyboard would be decent. The Cliq keyboard had issues, as did the Backflop.

Motorola can make on hell of a phone, its been proven with the Droid X. And considering the only key feature that would gravitate someone to the Droid 2 is the physical keyboard, you would think that they would have spent more time on it.

I would take the old droid running 2.2 with its old specs if they had just worked on the keyboard more.

Upvote 0
I never really got into hardware keyboards. Had a tp2 and droid 1 but i never used them. I only used the droid 1 keyboard after loading a custom rom to get pass the beginning screen. But after upgrading to a droid x the extra screen space makes typing a blast to use. And i don’t have to worry about a movable part getting worn/broken. But be warned. Its very hard to go back to a 3.7 inch screen after using the X. I tell people that the size is not for everyone but that's why android is the best; a size and hardware spec for everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones