• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer apps from Samsung Galaxy s3 to a Galaxy s5

Get a good file explorer like es file explorer. Then navigate folders to data>app and look for the app in the list. Long press it until options pop up. Tap copy, then navigate to a folder on your ext SD card and tap paste. Now the apk (application package) is saved to your card. Put that card in new phone and get file explorer and navigate to where you stored it and tap it. It should give you the option to install it. :cool:
This won't save the data for the app so if it's a game, progress will be lost. To save data you need to be rooted and get a backup app like titanium or similar.

Edit: Actually es file explorer has options to backup apps come to think of it. So it will probably be easier than my instructions.

Upvote 0
Get a good file explorer like es file explorer. Then navigate folders to data>app and look for the app in the list. Long press it until options pop up. Tap copy, then navigate to a folder on your ext SD card and tap paste. Now the apk (application package) is saved to your card. Put that card in new phone and get file explorer and navigate to where you stored it and tap it. It should give you the option to install it. :cool:
This won't save the data for the app so if it's a game, progress will be lost. To save data you need to be rooted and get a backup app like titanium or similar.

Edit: Actually es file explorer has options to backup apps come to think of it. So it will probably be easier than my instructions.

It saves the backup onto the SDcard but I can not save or move anything to the ext SD card

Upvote 0
It saves the backup onto the SDcard but I can not save or move anything to the ext SD card

You should be able to move it to ext sdcard. You can always transfer it to your computer and move it to the new phone. I've never had a problem saving to ext SD card.

Rooting is different for every phone. Also depends on carrier. Best to do a LOT of reading before attempting root.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
You should be able to move it to ext sdcard. You can always transfer it to your computer and move it to the new phone. I've never had a problem saving to ext SD card.

Rooting is different for every phone. Also depends on carrier. Best to do a LOT of reading before attempting root.

There are several ways to root your phone. Personally, I flashed a custom rooted ROM after I had flashed Philz recovery. Philz also has a root option built-in if you decide to stay with stock. There are also a few other methods. I recommend reading your options. If you are going to go ahead and flash a custom rooted ROM then there is no sense in rooting your phone manually. Just let the ROM do it. :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones