1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Transfer contacts from SIM to phone - Redmi 4a

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by spudmachine, May 27, 2017.

1. spudmachine

spudmachine Lurker

Hello,
    I bought this phone for my ex wife, who has clung to a non-smart phone for years and so she does not have her contacts in Google or the cloud.

On my Samsung S6 Edge I can open Contacts - More - Settings - Import/Export Contacts - but there's no "import from SIM" option.

On the Redmi 4a it's even worse. I forgot to check the O/S version, but I think it's 6.0.1, I open Contacts, but there's no "More", or three-line icon for the menu etc. Literally no options at all.

Is there an app I can use to import contacts from SIM? I tried googling for an app but with no success.

Is there any other way to get contacts off a SIM?

Cheers,
    Geoff

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

SIM contact storage is a bit of a legacy thing from the 1990s. And it seems these days some recent phones just don't bother with it at all, like Xiaomi and Samsung apparently.

Apparently my Oppo with 6.0.1 still does.
    IMG_20170527_185507.jpg

You may need to find and possibly borrow a phone that has this feature, import the SIM contacts, and then export them again to an SD or Google contacts or something. There are stand alone SIM readers with USB that can do it as well, with a PC.

Phalon4 likes this.
  3. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast

This is how l transfer my contacts if you still have the old phone available and the phone has Bluetooth You can put the SIM card back in the device and go into it's file manager and link the old to the new via Bluetooth and transfer the contract that way. Depending on the device this option may very.

mikedt likes this.
  4. spudmachine

spudmachine Lurker

Good feedback, chaps - thank you. It reassures me I'm not missing something obvious. Had dinner with some friends last night and they had the same issue. Solved it by putting the SIM into an old Blackberry and transferring the contacts to Google that way.
    The old phone is actually a very basic Nokia with no USB, but I would think I could access the Nokia utility via Bluetooth on a laptop also. So at least I have a couple of ways forward!
    Thanks again.