1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Transfer ebooks between phones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Is that possible? I would like to send downloads from one to another. If they're both Moto Gs (Play and Stylus), that should make it easier.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Shouldn't be a problem.
    I keep a copy of all my ebooks in a folder on drive so that I can access them on any device.

Rgarner likes this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

How exactly do I do that? I am going to try by downloading one item to the Moto G Play because it works without wifi and sending it to the Moto G Stylus because it has much greater internal storage and also a relatively whopping SD card. Can I use some kind of sharing option?

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Which ebook app are you using? Are the books DRM "protected"?

A book with no DRM is trivial: copy the file to another device and just read it in whatever app you choose. With DRM, I dunno: maybe you can just copy it and read it, provided you use the DRM-holder's app and are signed into that, or maybe you have to download it again from the DRM holder (I can imagine Amazon working that way). So this may be an important question.

The reason I don't know what DRM does to this is that where I live it's legal for me to remove that **** from a book provided it's just for personal use and I don't redistribute the file, So it's legal for Amazon or whoever to sell books with DRM, but they have no legal right to prevent me from removing it in order to read the book on a device of my choice). So I don't know how DRM affects this equation because if I ever do buy a DRM-protected book the first thing I do is remove the DRM, as a matter of principle. But I don't know whether it's legal for you to do the same, because I'm not in the USA.

ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I am using Nook on the Play but I have a much wider range of options (that included) with the Stylus. Can I somehow command one Nook to send to the other? How would I do that?

6. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I don't use Nook, but can't you access your library, when you're signed in, through your account.

tube517, ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what format are these books in? if they are nook books, they you just need to sign in with your account on the new device and they will be transferred. if they are files on your device, then you just need to transfer them over.

Rgarner likes this.
  8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I still don't get HOW to do this. Could I maybe email a title from one device to another? I can get into Nook just fine, but I see no transfer option.

9. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Should I sign out on the Stylus and then in again? Will it transfer from the Play? Won't it mess up what I've already got on the Stylus?

puppykickr likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

if you have two accounts then you will need to call Nook support to merge the two accounts together. they can do this and you will have your stuff on one phone. you should have signed in on your new phone in the nook app with your old account......not create a new one.

PitCarver and Rgarner like this.
  11. ocnbrze

and no signing out will not delete the nook books you have.

Rgarner likes this.
  12. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I didn't create a new one. Those "two" should be one and the same. I guess I'll check it out later. Meanwhile, about that window drape...

13. ocnbrze

and just to be sure these are nook books, yes? or were they downloaded and imported to the nook library?

Rgarner likes this.
  14. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Most of them are imports and not "genuine" Nook items. I still don't know how to copy or transfer them between phones. Is there some mysterious hidden trick to it?

15. ocnbrze

if they are imported then they are most likely just files. just add them to the new phone like you did with your old phone.

using a pc is the easiest to copy and move the files. but i think most file managers for android can do the same thing. just copy the file and move the copied file to a sd card and put that card into the new phone.

Rgarner likes this.
  16. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Oh, I can't just send them through the air? That's a drag. Somehow I had gotten the impression that I could. I suppose I'll have to search for the nearest parking lot with free wifi, no password required...

17. ocnbrze

again they are just files.....so airdroid or even emailing it should work. or if you have a storage service like dropbox or google drive you can transfer them that way.

Rgarner likes this.
  18. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

What's AirDroid? How do I know if I have it? Does it have to be on both phones?

19. ocnbrze

airdroid is an app that let's you move files to and from a pc wirelessly.....probably don't have it.

Rgarner likes this.
  20. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, I probably don't have it. Could I download it for free? Would it work between phones? I suppose it would have to be on both of them.

21. ocnbrze

no airdroid only works from phone to pc, not phone to phone.

Rgarner likes this.
  22. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I'd still say that Drive or Dropbox are 2 of your best and easiest options.

ocnbrze, Rgarner and tube517 like this.
  23. baizhou

baizhou Member

If you just want to transfer ebooks between your Android phones, of course it's possible. The easiest way is using phone transfer software like MobileTrans, AnyTrans, Coolmuster Mobile Transfer, etc. Such software is easy to use, but not free. You can search the details online and choose the one you like better. Hope this will be your help.

Rgarner likes this.
  24. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I do too, thanks. None of 'em's free, huh? I suppose it would have to be paid by card, which I don't have.

25. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I noticed that a download site I've been using has an option to send to email. Maybe I should try that. It's a bit late for what's already there, but maybe it can help in the future, if I ever get the Moto G Stylus working again (see Another fine mess).