• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transfer ebooks between phones

How exactly do I do that? I am going to try by downloading one item to the Moto G Play because it works without wifi and sending it to the Moto G Stylus because it has much greater internal storage and also a relatively whopping SD card. Can I use some kind of sharing option?

Upvote 0
Which ebook app are you using? Are the books DRM "protected"?

A book with no DRM is trivial: copy the file to another device and just read it in whatever app you choose. With DRM, I dunno: maybe you can just copy it and read it, provided you use the DRM-holder's app and are signed into that, or maybe you have to download it again from the DRM holder (I can imagine Amazon working that way). So this may be an important question.

The reason I don't know what DRM does to this is that where I live it's legal for me to remove that **** from a book provided it's just for personal use and I don't redistribute the file, So it's legal for Amazon or whoever to sell books with DRM, but they have no legal right to prevent me from removing it in order to read the book on a device of my choice). So I don't know how DRM affects this equation because if I ever do buy a DRM-protected book the first thing I do is remove the DRM, as a matter of principle. But I don't know whether it's legal for you to do the same, because I'm not in the USA.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
I am using Nook on the Play but I have a much wider range of options (that included) with the Stylus. Can I somehow command one Nook to send to the other? How would I do that?
what format are these books in? if they are nook books, they you just need to sign in with your account on the new device and they will be transferred. if they are files on your device, then you just need to transfer them over.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Should I sign out on the Stylus and then in again? Will it transfer from the Play? Won't it mess up what I've already got on the Stylus?
if you have two accounts then you will need to call Nook support to merge the two accounts together. they can do this and you will have your stuff on one phone. you should have signed in on your new phone in the nook app with your old account......not create a new one.

Upvote 0
Most of them are imports and not "genuine" Nook items. I still don't know how to copy or transfer them between phones. Is there some mysterious hidden trick to it?
if they are imported then they are most likely just files. just add them to the new phone like you did with your old phone.

using a pc is the easiest to copy and move the files. but i think most file managers for android can do the same thing. just copy the file and move the copied file to a sd card and put that card into the new phone.

Upvote 0
Oh, I can't just send them through the air? That's a drag. Somehow I had gotten the impression that I could. I suppose I'll have to search for the nearest parking lot with free wifi, no password required...
again they are just files.....so airdroid or even emailing it should work. or if you have a storage service like dropbox or google drive you can transfer them that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones