1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Transfer of apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Eszter, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Eszter

Eszter Lurker

Hi to all!

Can you help me please to recommend an app which helps to transfer my applications from my previous phone to the new one? It would be important that it transfers all my data saved in the applications as well
    Thank you for your help!
    Ester

2. svim

svim Extreme Android User

What phone model do your currently have and what are going to be switching to?
    It's usually easier to switch, as an example, a Samsung to another Samsung as there's a manufacturer supplied utility (Smart Switch) to make the backing up and restoring process less cumbersome. Switching to a different brand may or may not be as simple. Also, are you syncing email/calendar/contacts on your phone with your online account? Part of a hassle-free changeover is to just deactivate your Google account on your old phone and activate it on your new phone (this affects your Google-related services, not third-party app data and settings that you're specifically asking about).

mikedt likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Many brands have their own transfer apps (some have for longer than Samsung). These usually do work between different brands too, and will do the transfer via WiFi. But it would be prudent not to wipe the old phone until you have checked that everything is transferred.

I believe there is also a way of restoring a Google backup to a new phone (if using same Gmail account). And there are old school techniques such as stand alone message backups or taking a Helium backup and the restoring that on the new device. So if the vendor's transfer app doesn't do everything, or they don't provide one, there are still options as long as you hang on to the old phone until everything is done.

mikedt likes this.
  4. Eszter

Eszter Lurker

Hi!
    I try to change from Samsung to Huawei, I was not provided any transfer app when I bought my new phone.
    I use the same Google account, indeed. But it does not store the data that is saved in the apps (e. g. favorites, notes, bookmarks, etc.). This is my real problem. I tried Apps Backup and Restore, but the archived app did not launch, when I restore it. So this is why I ask you if you know other app that works surely. Thanks!

5. Hadron

VIP Member

You tried the instructions for restoring from a different device, e.g. here? It's not perfect, but it should restore most apps' data.

Otherwise I've used the Helium app from the Play Store to do this. Without root you'll need a usb cable and a computer and to follow some instructions to give it the necessary permission to access other apps' data, but once you've done that it works for most apps (there were a couple it didn't, but almost all did).

Notes will of course depend on the Notes app you use: if it's a Samsung one then it's unlikely that there's an app on the Huawei that can read them. This is where using third party apps for most things has an advantage: you can use the same app on your new phone. Likewise you'll need the same browser on the new phone to transfer bookmarks (unless your current one can export bookmarks into a more portable format). And message backups (SMS, WhatsApp, etc) I always make sure I do myself, for safety.

6. waseem jani

waseem jani Lurker

hello!
    I try and alternate from Samsung to Huawei, i was now not furnished any transfer app when i purchased my new smartphone.
    i exploit the identical Google account, certainly. but it does not store the statistics this is stored within the apps

#6 waseem jani, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018
  7. Hadron

VIP Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the statistics (Google translate of "data" is my guess), but it won't just by merit of using the same Google account, you do need to restore from a different device's back (link above).

If that still doesn't work then as I said above Helium does for most apps (I've seen a couple that didn't, but almost all did when I used it).

8. Eszter

Eszter Lurker

Thanks Hadron on the useful link on Google backup. However, it only saves selected apps and I cannot add a different one. Is that right?
    Do you have a link how to use Helium?
    Thanks!

9. Stevenapp22

Stevenapp22 Lurker

Just use the Clone it Application? How to:
    1. Download the Clone it application on the new and old smartphone
    2. Wait until it's finished.
    3. When finished please open the application. If there is a request to arrange something. Please set it according to the instructions.
    4. On the sending smartphone, please click on the sender and there will be a hotspot startup and select the recipient.
    5. Before the recipient please click on the receiver.
    6. After that, on the sender's smartphone, please choose any data that you want to transfer to a new smartphone. There is a choice of videos, images, files and even operating settings.
    7. When finished please use data data from the old smartphone on the new smartphone.
    I think it's easy. With this you do not need to move the data difficult or complicated. Just a few clicks you will get everything on the old smartphone. Hopefully the answers from me can help you. thanks.

10. Hadron

VIP Member

I don't know what you mean by it only saves selected apps/cannot add a different one.

Helium tells you what you need to do to use it. Without root a desktop app is needed to give it the permissions it needs, and it tells you where to get it from.