• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help transfering to new 3xl, warranty replacement

So I am kinda tech savvy...
My old 3xl has a wonky port, so they sent me a replacement..

First I did whatever 'transfer from old to new phone' stuff the new phone wanted to do...
Then I cut and pasted all folders from old phone, to PC, then onto new phone
THEN I used Helium to back up "53" apps to my google drive, which it ended up doing only 30- no idea why..
SMS back n restore...
comparing phones side by side, pretty much identical in the app drawer, most apps appear to have moved over with their data...looks like all my music, texts, pics etc....
I am almost ready to wipe old phone BUT.
using the pc to look into the phones, old phone has 14 Gb available, new phone...29
what the hell have I missed in copying over my stuff?!?!?!?!?!?

entering settings,storage.. Old phone used 40.96/64gb new phone using 32.67/64
I "lost" 8gb of stuff?

So I am kinda tech savvy...
My old 3xl has a wonky port, so they sent me a replacement..

First I did whatever 'transfer from old to new phone' stuff the new phone wanted to do...
Then I cut and pasted all folders from old phone, to PC, then onto new phone
THEN I used Helium to back up "53" apps to my google drive, which it ended up doing only 30- no idea why..
SMS back n restore...
comparing phones side by side, pretty much identical in the app drawer, most apps appear to have moved over with their data...looks like all my music, texts, pics etc....
I am almost ready to wipe old phone BUT.
using the pc to look into the phones, old phone has 14 Gb available, new phone...29
what the hell have I missed in copying over my stuff?!?!?!?!?!?

entering settings,storage.. Old phone used 40.96/64gb new phone using 32.67/64
I "lost" 8gb of stuff?

Update files from OS maybe? I know Google photos for instance can take up a huge chunk, just from thumbnail images and such.
You check the cache and storage settings?

Upvote 0
i will look into that stuff.. Update files from OS....?
I just noticed if I click deeper into storage.. there are disparities in the categories.... other apps for instance... 11gb old, 8.4gb new..
System?? 14gb old, but 8.9gb new....

sigh

not sure what to do with cache and storage settings.. all i want to know is that my "life" is in the new phone and I am not losing anything important

Upvote 0
i will look into that stuff.. Update files from OS....?
I just noticed if I click deeper into storage.. there are disparities in the categories.... other apps for instance... 11gb old, 8.4gb new..
System?? 14gb old, but 8.9gb new....

sigh

not sure what to do with cache and storage settings.. all i want to know is that my "life" is in the new phone and I am not losing anything important

So when your phone does an OS update, it will store a bunch of *junk* files, that build up. And as you open and use apps, they will start to get bigger, so that seems normal as well. I personally think you have nothing to worry about, but if you go into storage settings on old phone, it may give you options to clear cache and app bloat. Not that you need to though, but I bet it would start to make those numbers match a bit better.

Upvote 0
So when your phone does an OS update, it will store a bunch of *junk* files, that build up. And as you open and use apps, they will start to get bigger, so that seems normal as well. I personally think you have nothing to worry about, but if you go into storage settings on old phone, it may give you options to clear cache and app bloat. Not that you need to though, but I bet it would start to make those numbers match a bit better.
this is what I was mulling on my head today..

Should I go to my old phone, open apps and clear cache?
cache contains nothing of real import, right?

then maybe the numbers will align better........?

Thanks NA!

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones