1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

transfering to new 3xl, warranty replacement

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by justanotherguy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. justanotherguy

So I am kinda tech savvy...
    My old 3xl has a wonky port, so they sent me a replacement..

First I did whatever 'transfer from old to new phone' stuff the new phone wanted to do...
    Then I cut and pasted all folders from old phone, to PC, then onto new phone
    THEN I used Helium to back up "53" apps to my google drive, which it ended up doing only 30- no idea why..
    SMS back n restore...
    comparing phones side by side, pretty much identical in the app drawer, most apps appear to have moved over with their data...looks like all my music, texts, pics etc....
    I am almost ready to wipe old phone BUT.
    using the pc to look into the phones, old phone has 14 Gb available, new phone...29
    what the hell have I missed in copying over my stuff?!?!?!?!?!?

entering settings,storage.. Old phone used 40.96/64gb new phone using 32.67/64
    I "lost" 8gb of stuff?

2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Update files from OS maybe? I know Google photos for instance can take up a huge chunk, just from thumbnail images and such.
    You check the cache and storage settings?

3. justanotherguy

i will look into that stuff.. Update files from OS....?
    I just noticed if I click deeper into storage.. there are disparities in the categories.... other apps for instance... 11gb old, 8.4gb new..
    System?? 14gb old, but 8.9gb new....

sigh

not sure what to do with cache and storage settings.. all i want to know is that my "life" is in the new phone and I am not losing anything important

4. NightAngel79

Administrator

So when your phone does an OS update, it will store a bunch of *junk* files, that build up. And as you open and use apps, they will start to get bigger, so that seems normal as well. I personally think you have nothing to worry about, but if you go into storage settings on old phone, it may give you options to clear cache and app bloat. Not that you need to though, but I bet it would start to make those numbers match a bit better.

5. justanotherguy

this is what I was mulling on my head today..

Should I go to my old phone, open apps and clear cache?
    cache contains nothing of real import, right?

then maybe the numbers will align better........?

Thanks NA!

NightAngel79 likes this.
  6. NightAngel79

Administrator

Nothing of any value in cache, and sometimes mine gets to be a few gb's at least.

7. justanotherguy

welp,I went through and cleared almost all cache I could find
    Storage numbers came down to with maybe 2-300 mb of each other

quite acceptable. thanks Again!

8. NightAngel79

Administrator

Awesome! Glad I could help!!

Google Pixel 3 & 3XL Forum

The Google Pixel 3 & 3XL release date was November 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch or 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3430mAh or 2915mAh battery.

November 2018
Release Date
Reviews