1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Transferring data from old memory card to new one

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by viral1991, Aug 16, 2011.

1. viral1991

viral1991 Member
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Hello, everyone!

I have just bought an 8 GB card for Optimus P500 after the 2 GB card got filled up (thanks to Android Market ;))

Am thinking of copying the whole 2 GB card onto the PC, then pasting the data onto the new card? Will I then be able to use the apps as before, without reinstalling? Do I need to format the new card first?

Some more queries :

I can see that the default installation location can be set to the Memory Card using the ADB in SDK. But, will it disallow us from moving some apps into the phone memory afterwards?

I don’t use an internet data plan. So, I can’t use the mic icon of the Google Voice Search widget. Is it possible to exclude web search & only include apps & contacts in the search?

Thanks,

Viral

Advertisement

2. GalaxyEuropa

GalaxyEuropa Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    London, UK
    You can do it from the PC onto the new card but may need reinstallation of the apps.

viral1991 likes this.
  3. Gremaldin

Gremaldin Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you wont have to reinstall. I didn't have to anyway. But if you removed the SD card, then uninstalled the app from the phone, then the app wont work even if you insert the SD card again. This is because, only a part of the app is moved to the card, the remainaing part is still in the phone's internal memory.

No, you can move apps back to phone memory any time.

First, I'm pretty sure you need a data connection for voice input or voice search to work.

Second, you can exclude web search. Press the search button. To the left of the search box, you'll find a google sign. Click it, choose the option you want.

viral1991 likes this.
  4. viral1991

viral1991 Member
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    Thanks a lot for the app info. I can now try out the new card. :)

Yes, I know how to change the search. Was just wondering whether Voice search can be used only for searching apps / music.

Thanks again!

5. viral1991

viral1991 Member
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Mumbai, India
    The 8 GB card is working perfectly, with all apps working fine! :)

6. honeycombe

honeycombe Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Would you happen to have the files that came with the original 2 GB SD card for the Optimus One? I accidentally formatted the SD card and lost all of the original files including LG PC suite, DivX, etc.

If possible, could you upload the files somewhere for download?

Thanks!

7. Gremaldin

Gremaldin Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    You dont really need those files. The PC Suite is trash and probably wont detect your phone, but if u still want it, you can download the latest version from the LG web site. I'm pretty sure you can find the other files if you google for them too. Anyway, if you cant find them and you still want them, let me know, and I'll upload them.

8. mohitgoyal

mohitgoyal Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    In android OS... there are two folders in memory card
    1. .android_secure - This is a hidden folder and can only be seen in mass storage mode. this contains all the data of the applications stored on memory card.
    2. Android - this is not the hidden folder and contains few data about the applications installed on phone.

Whenever u want to transfer data from one memory card to other just connect ur phone in mass storage mode and copy these 2 folders in the computer. Now disconnect the phone, put new memory card in the phone and connect the phone again in mass storage mode and copy these 2 folders in new memory card. It is necessary that the new card is connected through the phone and not from some card reader. All other stuff can be simply copied in new card. After u do this ur all applications whether they were in phone or memory card will work fine and ur phone is now equipped with a new memory card. I have done this on my Sony Ericsson Neo V and its working brilliantly.