• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transferring files from PC

grandsire02

Feb 14, 2013
As a newbie to the Android world and having been steeped in MS Windows technology all my computer life, I'm having problems getting to grips with the basics. I have downloaded an app to my Nexus called Alpinequest and I want to transfer some files from my PC to its data folder. When I open My Computer on the PC (Windows 7 x64) and go Portable Devices (Galaxy Nexus) - Internal storage - I get a list of folders such as .helix,thumbnails, Android, bugreports, data, Download, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, Ringtones etc. I know there is an Aplinequest folder and many many others on the Nexus because I've installed the File Manager app and can see them from the Nexus itself, but how do I 'see' all these folders on my PC so that I can transfer files to them? Help will be much appreciated!

The GN is very sensitive to the USB cable used. Other than the cable which came with the GN I have several cables which work on other phones/tablets which Will not charge th GN or connect to the PC. I have one cable listed as compatible with Motorola devices which will charge the GN but limits the access to internal memory on the PC to folder display of a few media folders. I have a cable from a Lenovo tablet which works the same as GN cable which shows and allows access and file read/write to all folders and files in the Storage/SDcard0 memory. I use the Astro file manager but I installed the File Manager and it also showed the Storage/SDcard0 folder to be the same as the PC displayed.

If the folder you need to access is not in the Storage/SDcard0 folder, which is the only folder available to the PC then add a folder named AlpineQ or something you choose, to the Storage/SDcard0 folder and copy your PC files to that folder. Then disconnect from the PC and use the File Manager to move or copy your files from the new folder in the Storage/SDcard0 to the desired folder in the GN.

I hope this solves your problem.

Upvote 0
What file manager are you using? I use ES File Explorer and recommend it (free in Play Store).

Of course it is odd you can't see all of the Nexus folders. But as Txrose mentioned above, you could just move the files to the Nexus and then move them around there.

More of a workaround, but it should work from what you described above.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice - and I'm now up and running having used the suggested workaround (transferring to a folder on the GN that my PC can see, and then moving it on to the Alpinequest folder within GN using File Manager). What I hadn't fully appreciated was expressed in your comment "If the folder you need to access is not in the Storage/SDcard0 folder, which is the only folder available to the PC". As a matter of interest, are there any utilities that can be installed on a PC that are able look further into the GN file structure?

Upvote 0
ES File Explorer on your phone can see your network drives as long as they are both on the same network - if you want to try it that way.

Or try a different/batter cable as txrose suggested. I don't think that would be the problem, but it may help. I use a cheap $1 cable on my computer and I occasionally have file connection issues even though the phone is charging.

Also, programs like Airdoid in the Play Store allow you to browse your phone via a browser on your computer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones