1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Transferring files suddenly does not work anymore.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Biffos, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Transferring files suddenly does not work anymore (even with another USB cable). When I connect the phone with a Notebook with USB cable auotmatically the window on the screenshot appears. When I touch the option in the middle (means something like "Transfer / copy / move files") the windows disappears but nothing happens (I cannot transfer files to / from the phone like it was before).

[​IMG]

What could I do to make it work again?

#1 Biffos, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

maybe try rebooting the computer. check to see if you have the latest drivers. it might also be a hardware issue on either your phone or computer.

maybe try a different computer.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

I had rebooted both of them. Yes, the drivers seem to be the latest. Unfortunately I do not have any other computer.

Is there any app / program which might cause the problem? A virus program, firewall or such (do not have new ones, didn*t change anything by intention)?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

are you transferring these files to the phone's internal storage or sd card? if internal, do you have enough space?

5. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Both. There is enough space (respectively 95 % full or so). But I cannot even transfer anything because the options in the middle and at the bottom do not work anymore. When I touch one of them the window (on the screenshot) disappears but nothing happens.

6. baizhou

baizhou Member

Maybe you can try a third-party program to help you transfer files from your Android phone to your notebook. My suggestion is Coolmuster Android Backup Manager. Its free backup function can help us do that easily. It's easy to use. Just search it online and have a try. Hope it will be your help.

7. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, good idea, I will try that app.

Many thanks!

8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

One other thing you might look at is to check to make sure your USB jack on the phone is clean and not packed with lint. Keeping a phone in your pocket will invariably allow dirt into the jack and pushing a cable in an out will pack it down to the point where it can't seat itself properly.

9. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Ah, I never would have thought of such. Yes, there might / will be a lot of lint, because there is much of it in the pockets, paper handkerchiefs, etc. But how can I clean the USB jack? I assume with a object not made of metal, may be with a toothpick?

10. lunatic59

I admit that it's probably not the best idea, but I use the point of an x-acto knife since it's thin enough to reach the bottom without putting any force on the contacts. Things like toothpicks or paper clips would still be too thick.

11. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Did I have to turn off the phone and remove the battery because of the metal blade which - I do not have an idea of such - could cause a short circuit or so?

12. lunatic59

I don't, but again, it might not be a bad idea.

13. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, I will try it, thank you very much!

14. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Are you dead-set on using a cable, @Biffos? I ask because I transfer files to/from my computers all day, and haven't touched a cable in eons.

Are your phone and computer on the same Wi-Fi network?

15. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

I would like to not to use a cable for transferring.But I use a normal (Win 10) sync program to transfer files / folders.Not an app or so.

Yes, the same network for both.

16. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Great! Then you're partway towards transferring files without cables. :)

Is your computer set up for networking? Have you 'shared' its hard drive [or specific directories]? Doing that will let you use a file manager on your phone to transfer files in both directions. My absolute favorite FM is MiXplorer Silver, and it's the only one I use now. In the screenshot, you can see its active tab [in white letters] is displaying my System76 laptop, and to the right [in gray] you'll see it's connected to my Compaq desktop. It treats all my computers' drives as if they're local:

Screenshot_20200922-130320.png

Note that I only use Linux, so if you need help setting up networking, someone else will help.

I'm on my bed, and just transferred a bunch of downloads to my dining-room laptop. Cables? Ugh...they're so '80s! :D

Dannydet and lunatic59 like this.
  17. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Sorry, I do not even know that, the phone has the same Internet connection as the Notebook has. And I have a Router like usual. No cables for the Internet. But at the moment I cannot connect both with each other, so there will be no such network working.

Not, I haven't, nothing shared here.

Ah, super, I downloaded MiXplorer Silver, many thanks! Looks very good.

OK, so I will set up my Notebook for networking now.

Yes yes, I do not want ugly cables from the past.

Thank you very much!

18. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

You're welcome!

A couple of things about MiXplorer: its feature-set is so rich, and powerful, it blows all other FMs I've tried out of the water!

Among many other things, you can control its appearance--and I mean every single element. You can also control which options appear on each menu. Its powerful batch renaming feature ALONE puts it head and shoulders above all other FMs I tried. It understands strings and variables; things I used to rely on my Linux command line to do can now be done with a FM! I love it.

But don't be scared off. You may never need or want some of its advanced capabilities, but if you do, they're there!

lunatic59 likes this.
  19. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Some time ago I searched for a good file manager, so getting to know it is a good random side effect here.

Yes, that sounds really very good, so there is a lot to try out.

Many thanks again!