1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Transferring from Desire to S2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by athegn, May 9, 2012.

1. athegn

athegn Android Enthusiast

May 26, 2010
    I have a 32GB card on my Desire that I now want to use on my S2.

I also want to get all the apps I had on the Desire (or at least those that are compatible) onto the S2.

However I seem to be having problems.

The first app I tried was Note Everything Pro which I paid for July 2011.

The app seems to have loaded Home > Menu > Applications > Downloaded shows the app but I cannot see it listed under the Applications logo on the Home screen. Nor can I found out how to get its widget on the Home screen or how to import the notes I have got zipped on the 32GB card or even to open it!.

Any help on this app or transferring data from the Desire to S2 in general?

Advertisement

2. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    The best way to transfer your apps is to redownload them from the play store while you're logged into the same Google account on your new phone as you are on your old phone.

Simply putting the SD card into your new phone might not work because each phone can use a different folder structure on the SD card.

As far transferring other data, I would copy and paste all data from your SD card onto a PC, then wipe the SD card and put a blank card into your S2, wait for the phone to create the folders it needs, then copy and paste the data you want to keep from your PC into the necessary folders on your SD card.

3. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    London, England
    NoteEverything Pro is an add-on to the basic version of NoteEverything. You need to download both parts. And if you used the "share to Google Documents" function you'll need to download NoteEverything GDocs too.

The data stored by some apps will be phone-specific. By simply copying data over, you risk data corruption. It's up to you. When I moved from the desire to the Galaxy, I started again from scratch with app data and just copied over my personal stuff: documents, music, videos, etc.

One notable exception is NoteEverything. It keeps your notes in it's own folder in the root of the phone. You should copy this to your micro-SD on the Desire then back onto the Galaxy.

4. athegn

athegn Android Enthusiast

May 26, 2010
    Thanks for your replies

I have now created and copied off my SD card backups for Note Everything and Handcent.

Rechecking that my backup of the card data files is good before putting card in S2 and formatting. Then reinstalling paid and free apps.