• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transferring music onto nexus 7

Hi, I got a nexus7 for Xmas. I want to move some music from iTunes onto it. I also want to store some of my CD's on it.

I already tried to do the latter. I sync'd 2 cd's via my sons laptop which is windows 8, but can't find them on the nexus even though when I try to re do it, it says they're already there.

Could anyone tell me how to 'find' the music stored and transfer from iTunes. I appreciate any help as I'm not terribly technically minded :thinking:

Thank you

If you're sharing your PC files over the network, just install "ES File Explorer" on your N7 and transfer wirelessly, as well. ES File Explorer has a Samba Client (Windows CIFS/SMB) client built in :)

LINUX USERS: Having a headache installing MTP compatibility on your linux machine? Use the samba server (available for all flavors of linux, even old ones) and transfer wirelessly, using ES File Explorer on your Nexus. Works great when you can't get the wired USB connection recognized by your linux box.

YOUR OWN WIRELESS CLOUD FOR MOVIES: Set up your wireless file sharing, as described above, and simply browse to your remote movie file via ES file explorer on your N7. Click your movie in the browser and select your player. Lets you stream from your PC to your N7 wirelessly.

Upvote 0
LINUX USERS: Having a headache installing MTP compatibility on your linux machine? Use the samba server (available for all flavors of linux, even old ones) and transfer wirelessly, using ES File Explorer on your Nexus. Works great when you can't get the wired USB connection recognized by your linux box.
I just tried gMTP on Sabayon Linux. It provides graphical controls and works well for USB transfer.

Upvote 0
I use an easy method. Attach the N7 to the PC and copy to the Music folder in the N7 as you would to any external device. No searching, no headaches.

I've tried this way of getting music onto my daughters N7 - however when I open the "Play Music" option it says there is no music kept on the device!

To confuse me even more when I connect it back up to my laptop I can see the folder there on the N7 with the music and even play it on my laptop!

Help!

Confused Dad trying to set up birthday present for daughter.

Upvote 0
I've tried this way of getting music onto my daughters N7 - however when I open the "Play Music" option it says there is no music kept on the device!

To confuse me even more when I connect it back up to my laptop I can see the folder there on the N7 with the music and even play it on my laptop!

Help!

Confused Dad trying to set up birthday present for daughter.
That is strange. Get the ES File Explorer and see whether you can get to it. Maybe you copied folders and not files.

Upvote 0
Sorry - should have said confused Dad who knows little or nothing about computers!

However I can listen to the files on my laptop from the N7 when it's connected via USB!
Did you try the ES File Explorer from the Google Playstore. I think it is free or just a couple of bucks.

And check whether you transferred files or folders. For the File Explorer that does not make any difference. But for Android, folders might not work.

The laptop is different. It views the N7 just as another external device - like a USB stick.

Reactions: PatM65
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones