1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Transferring Overdrive Media Console WMA Audio-books from PC to Droid

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by smandana, Jan 8, 2012.

1. smandana

smandana New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I am trying to transfer an WMA Audiobook from my laptop to my Android. I have the Overdrive Media Console app installed on my phone, but it won't let me transfer. Error: "The format is not compatible". Now, I know that the Droid app only reads MP3 files, but is there a way to make it compatible with WMA as well?

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    It's not clear to me if you downloaded the WMA audio book using the Overdrive Media Console on your laptop. If so, I thought that Overdrive would let you transfer the file and license to Overdrive on you Android device, but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I used it. I got fed up with that mess and just decided to circumvent it.

I only listen to audio books occassionally in the car, traveling to the ski-mountains on weekends so it takes me several weeks to finish a normal book. I got tired of the book expiring before I could finish it. Then I'd go to check it out again the next ski-weekend but it would be unavailable. So I ended up converting the books to MP3 files. (I use open-source Audacity audio recording/editing software, and a cable connecting my headphone jack to my microphone jack) to re-record the books and save them as MP3s. I'd just let it run overnight or sometime when I wasn't going to use the PC for several hours. Then I play the MP3 file on my phone, at my leisure, using the free MortPlayer Audiobooks app (which has a lot of nice features for playing audio books, like skip back, bookmarks, etc.)

WMA supports DRM and MP3 does not support DRM, and (if I remember correctly) the Overdrive Media Console only deals in DRMed WMA files (since OMC's main goal is digital rights management).

3. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Unfortunately, no Android app plays protected WMA, including the OverDrive app. From the OverDrive FAQ:

4. RNekic

RNekic Member

May 25, 2010
  5. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    There are audio player apps like BoomBoxoid, PowerAmp, et al, that play unprotected WMA files. I've used both to play WMA files.