• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transform SLOOOOOW Since "Upgrade?"

This update to 2.2 is proving the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it." My phone has been degrading steadily since the update. I NEVER had FC's or times when the phone would just completely stop before, but now I have them daily. My Weatherbug no longer works. I have not changed my apps, though I did move some to the SD card. My battery dies in less than a day without making any calls. It used to last 2 days. If it weren't for the benefit of the "end call with power button" feature, I'd be wishing I could go back to 2.1. I wasn't in full regret mode on my purchase before, but I'm starting to get there now. :(

Upvote 0
i am so tired of trying to fix this phone. i wish i loved it, i try. i have read every discussion posting and followed all of the advice and it is still slow. to give an idea of what i have gone thru...

removed any fishy apps
cleared the cache and data on any apps that would let me
removed any apps that said "boot at start-up" or whatever it is
moved any game, photo, music apps to sd card
uninstalled launcher and task killer

now i am back at basic launcher with apps that i have been using for awhile, shy of Words Free (words with friends, glitchy on its own accord i know). there is a task manager that won't uninstall and i am not sure where it came from, possibly the update. my phone vibrates for no reason all the time and i cant figure out how to turn it off, no silent mode anymore. i hate it. i still have very slow transition between screens, sometimes 10+ seconds. typing is ridiculous. i dont know if that is something i just have to deal with. i use slide it text instead of swype, it actually grabs the words and i am correcting less frequently, but still correcting the auto-correct (makes me really miss my blackberry). i am also popping the battery out several times per day and i DO NOT trust my alarm to wake me up. i never know if the phone will actually be on in the morning.

are there any more suggestions for smoother operations before moving into rooting? i have read many posts encouraging to root the phone but i have no idea what this means or what might be the repercussions of doing so. i am studying this now but before i decide to do so, i would love anymore suggestions.

Upvote 0
lyssalynne, I'm sorry to hear about your issues. It is possible that some phones may just be defective and need to be swapped. I've set my vibrate setting to "Never" but the issue of "my phone vibrates for no reason all the time and i cant figure out how to turn it off" sometimes occurs to me as well. All you have to do is quickly hit the <back> key and it should stop vibrating and you can then resume what you were doing. Did you reset Animations in Settings->Display->Aimations to "No Animations". This should minimize screen redraw issues and speed up your stock launcher response. BTW, when you go into apps and exit out of them, do you use the <Home> key to get back to the main home screen or the <back> key? Using the <home> key has the result of suspending that app (most apps react this way) in the background, which can affect your RAM and even some battery life. Don't uninstall the Samsung Task Manager as it came with the update (along with MY Files - file manager). You can use your Task Manager and check the RAM Manager tab - How much RAM are you using? ?MB/161MB. The preferred way of exiting apps is to use the <back> key to ensure that you exit the app properly and if the app is coded correctly for this the result will be as expected. If you browse a lot, make sure to go to the browser app, hit Menu->More->Settings and clear Cache, History, Cookie Data and Form Data. Similarly, you may have to clear your call logs and SMS history logs from time to time if there seems to be a lot of data. I haven't really had much problem with my phone, including battery life, and my alarms ring every morning, including the times when I activate the Lightningbug app and fell asleep while it was running. Onceor twice a week, I may shut down the phone completely and turn it back on after a few minutes just to reset everything to the minimal startup mode. I hope this helps.

Reactions: lyssalynne
Upvote 0
1st of all, thanks for the quick response. Here is where I am at now..

"No Animations"--- changed to, but discouraged. i have really taken all the fun out of this phone and gotten back to very basics, boring.

<back> key? --- yep, knew that, thanks ;)

How much RAM are you using?--- i doubt this is good but 154MB/161MB.

If you browse a lot, make sure to go to the browser app, hit Menu->More->Settings and clear Cache, History, Cookie Data and Form Data. ---question, do i leave the "accept cookies" and "remember form data" checked? i cleared all of them but don't know what status to leave them in.

Similarly, you may have to clear your call logs and SMS history logs from time to time if there seems to be a lot of data. ---just cleared all my texts unless there is a backup somewhere. i went into my messages and deleted all threads. i thought i had it set to do after a certain number anyway but i probably uninstalled that version of messaging.

shut down the phone completely and turn it back on after a few minutes just to reset everything to the minimal startup mode---i do this on the regular, maybe two or three times per day.

what is the consequence in wiping the phone clean to factory settings and starting from scratch? if it is just losing stupid apps and what-not, im already there. do you think it would help?

thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
Also, one way to keep a record of your call logs (in case you need to clear the call logs on your phone) is to use an app called "CallTrack". Using your gmail account (we all have one or more since it's required to have a gmail account for an android phone), go to calendars and if you want to, set up a second calendar for this gmail account (you can have multiple calendars). Call it "Call Log" and set up CallTrack to log all your incoming, outgoing, and missed calls to that calendar. Now you'll have a log of all your calls (including call duration) which is accessible through the internet through any pc in case you left your phone and need a particular phone number, especially if you knew the last time you/they called.

Upvote 0
"Accept cookies" and "Remember form data" should be checked.

Our phone cannot run Live Wallpaper (unless rooted) so I'm not sure how much animation I'm really missing or if it's really worth it.

Resetting the phone to factory settings basically means a clean slate for your phone, resetting the phone to the point when the phone was brand new and you had just opened the box and was starting to use the phone. You will never lose your apps as the android market/amazon app store records all your aps and you can simply re-install all/some of your apps. Your contacts will resync again (through the gmail interface) and your mail as well (you may have to configure your exchange server/pop mail server). You should take steps to try to backup your data to the SD card and to your pc/laptop as well, before resetting to Factory default (apps data like notes, pictures, etc. and others here, especially those of us who root can help with that process).

Upvote 0
On the browser, I only clear 4 things - the settings for "Clear cache"; "Clear history"; "Clear all cookie data" and "Clear form data". I don't touch any of the other settings.

154MB/161MB is not much free RAM left on your phone. My phone is usually anywhere from 121MB/161MB to 140MB/161MB. I've seen it briefly at 143MB but that was just for a few seconds. As others have mentioned, the phone operates well if you can keep your RAM in this range.

How many Sprint ID's did you load? I only have one ("the Sprint ID") aside from My ID. I have about 76-82 apps/widgets (including those from the Sprint ID) and I use all 5 homescreens of the stock 2.2 launcher with widgets like the stock power control widget, batterylife, airplane mode, and ringer toggle widget, springpad small and list view widget, Business Calendar and google search widget, Fancy Widget (clock and weather) and numerous app and bookmark shortcut icons. Do you use the facebook widget and does that contain a lot of data? I also keep calendar sync to 1 hour, facebook to 2. Gmails are instantaneous.

Upvote 0
i set my internet as you said and will get my phone backed up tomorrow. i want to try wiping it clean first and if that doesn't work, i may root it, leaning very heavily in that direction. it seems like it would be more of what i thought i was purchasing in the first place based on what i have been reading. but for now, i need sleep. i have been working on this phone all day now.

thank u thank u thank u ;)

Upvote 0
How many Sprint ID's did you load? ------i believe i am just using the one

apps/widgets (including those from the Sprint ID)---62 in my app tray? (i believe that is what it is called)

---i dont have any active widgets right now, before today i did, but when i checked that number for you, all of mine had been deleted. i was using fb, scrolling photo contact, a weather one, and...that may have been it. i had one screen with shortcuts to all my games. one for just phn, msg, email, and one for music, photos, settings, Advanced Task Killer. i was using ATW launcher but it started acting up (when all of this started) so i swapped to GoLauncher but it started acting up (force closing, all of this stuff is just force closing) so i went back to basic launcher and uninstalled the rest.

i saw u had posted since so i went ahead and responded... and then i realized i didn't delete your msg i was using for notes...sorry if confusing

Upvote 0
I've read a nuber of users report problems with alternative launchers like ADW, LauncherPro, etc. since a number of phones were updated to 2.2 froyo as well as issues with weather apps (and the widgets for them) like Weatherbug, The Weather Channel, etc. I did install Accuweather quick which initiall caused a FC but I've not had any problem since (though I'm careful about updating app versions especially if people report FC issues and I've not updated my version of Accuweather Quick to the latest version because of it). A lot of your issues may have been caused by these launchers or apps initially esp. since the update to 2.2.

You may try launching the Facebook app from a shortcut icon like I do, instead of the FB widget as some people have had issues with the FB widget as well from time to time (perhaps if one has a lot of facebook data, esp. pictures). Also, have you tried not using the scrolling photo contact in case that widget is causing your phone to lag?

If you think you will re-open an app shortly and go back to a particular state in that app or want to return back to a particular page on the browser, then you can use the <home> key to exit and do something else, placing the app in the background and utilizing android's multitasking capability, and reopen the app to continue where you left off, otherwise it's better to exit the app using the <back> key to place the app in an inactive state immediately, managing your RAM/battery resources effectively.

Upvote 0
thank u guys, i'm sold. i will be rooting my phone. i am nervous about this whole bricking thing but as it is my phone is not worth what i am paying for it anyway. i have basically stripped it down shy of restoring factory settings (boo) and it still is being a brat.

u guys rock!

one more question: can i root it while it is still acting this terrible?

Upvote 0
thank u guys, i'm sold. i will be rooting my phone. i am nervous about this whole bricking thing but as it is my phone is not worth what i am paying for it anyway. i have basically stripped it down shy of restoring factory settings (boo) and it still is being a brat.

u guys rock!

one more question: can i root it while it is still acting this terrible?

Yeah lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones