• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transform Ultra - larger sd card question

mkjeld

Lurker
May 10, 2012
New to this stuff, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Got the Boost Transform Ultra a few days ago for son. We mounted the phone, copied over some of his music, no problem. Needed to copy extensive Itunes music so I got a larger sd card. Instead of mounting the phone with card installed & connecting with USB, he just put the sd card in the computer's card reader, went to itunes, highlighted all the music, pressed copy, then went to sd card and said paste. Now all the music is on the sd card, he popped it in the phone and it works fine. BUT we still have to get the stuff off the 2 gig card that came with the phone. Viewing it on the computer, there are some pics, music, but also files, like "SystemAndroid", ".android_secure", Android, bluetooth, openfeint, ShareViaWifi, LOST.DIR and DCIM. I thought all the necessary files would have been on the internal memory, but did any of these come loaded on the card that came with the phone? Can I just copy and paste these onto the new card in the same manner. It was so simple to copy and paste, but instructions say to mount the phone via usb to use it as a mass storage device.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, we did not format the card, just put it in the card reader and copied the itunes music to it. Maybe it was already formatted? When we put the card in the phone, it did do some processing on it, don't remember what it said, but all the music played fine. This is so much easier than mounting the card in the phone, attaching usb to computer, making sure settings are right etc. I don't understand why the directions tell you to do it that way, except maybe some don't have card readers on their computers. Researching ways to load itunes music suggested several apps etc and this was much simpler. My worry is that I am not following the instructions in the manual and may be messing something up that I don't know about.

Upvote 0
Just speaking from my experience, does not mean it is the was it has to be done. I always put the new card in phone and let android format it then put my old card in a reader on the computer, connect phone usb and move the files I want to the phone. With that said as long as android can read your card it is formatted correctly and should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones