• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transition lag when using XT9

"Transition" is the best way I know how to describe what's happening. I recently upgraded to 4.0.4 but I noticed that after the update, when I am sending an SMS and use XT9 there is a "fade" or "lag" with every word I type. If you have the "word completion" and "auto substitution" options checked for XT9, you'll know how the words usually appear in a bar above your message for you to select the one to complete the sentence. After the update, that bar appears with every word I type, then fades to disappear when I hit a space, then reappears again. The constant fading is giving me a headache and I finally had to turn XT9 off completely. Has this happened to anyone else or is there any way around it other than just disabling XT9? I'm sorry if the description isn't clear enough. I can try to provide screenshots if that would be more beneficial.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Hi tutorgirl :ciao: welcome to the forums.

I'm not familiar with XT9, but which 4.0.4 did you upgrade to? Is it the one that came out in January? UVLI4?

Sometimes after updating you may have to do a factory reset to clear up little bugs. You can try going to settings > applications > all. Find the XT9 app, select clear data and cache and see if that helps.

You can also try going to recovery and clearing the cache. If you don't know how

Power off your phone. Hold both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates, let go of the power button but keep holding both volume buttons. In a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu. Use volume buttons to move up/down and power button to select. *if power button doesn't work, use your home key*. Go to format cache partition and select it. Reboot and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
"Transition" is the best way I know how to describe what's happening. I recently upgraded to 4.0.4 but I noticed that after the update, when I am sending an SMS and use XT9 there is a "fade" or "lag" with every word I type. If you have the "word completion" and "auto substitution" options checked for XT9, you'll know how the words usually appear in a bar above your message for you to select the one to complete the sentence. After the update, that bar appears with every word I type, then fades to disappear when I hit a space, then reappears again. The constant fading is giving me a headache and I finally had to turn XT9 off completely. Has this happened to anyone else or is there any way around it other than just disabling XT9? I'm sorry if the description isn't clear enough. I can try to provide screenshots if that would be more beneficial.
I had a similar problem after I updated. As Atmazzz suggested, I did a factory reset then downloaded Swype beta. Are you using the Swype keyboard but using XT9 input method?

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Yeah, it's the UVLI4 version. The factory reset didn't fix the problem, although it did clear up some other bugs I'd noticed which is great. I'm using the Samsung keyboard with XT9 input. If I download another keyboard it works fine, so I'm guessing the problem must just be with the 4.0.4 update to the Samsung keyboard and Swype keyboard specifically.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones