• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TranslationstEditor question

RhinoCan

Jul 5, 2015
Just for the heck of it - and to get some practice with i18n/l10n in Android - I'm making several translations of my text strings for my current project. I'm just using Google Translate so I know it won't do a particular good job but it's good enough for my purposes.

In the course of using the Translations Editor, I've noticed that it always seems to show the String keys in the order in which they were added to strings.xml. I'm not crazy about that order since it is somewhat haphazard so I would like to put it in a different order. I'm thinking of alphabetical order but I may try grouping the keys into other orders. The thing is that I don't see any way to change the sequence of the keys in Translations Editor.

I thought the obvious thing to do was close Translations Editor, move the keys around to my liking in strings.xml and then re-open Translations Editor. I assumed that Translations Editor would then show them in the new order I had established in strings.xml. Much to my surprise, it continues to show the keys in the PREVIOUS order, the order in which the keys were created.

Is there any way to make Translations Editor display the keys in the order *I* want? If so, I'd like to know how.

No, it's not the end of the world if I can't move my messages around. In a pinch, I suppose I could just create a new string.xml and put the strings in the order I want. I doubt I'd bother doing that much work just to sort a few lines though.

I'm not doing any source control yet although I increasingly think I probably should be. It's just me, myself and I developing code but having source control would, at the very least, be a good backup plan for my code. I actually have Git installed on this computer and was working on learning it properly several weeks back. It would make sense to use it, just to organize my code. When I get the main functionality finished - and I think I'm pretty close - I could use branches to deal with additional functionality that I may or may not ultimately keep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones