• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transparent Encrpytion

mpg187

Jun 21, 2010
Okay what I want is a way to encrypt files on my SD Card transparently. For example, when I make a "Compressed Folder" in Astro File Manager called "b" it makes a file called "b.acd"

What I want is a way to encrypt file like that, where it makes a file on the SD Card but like b.acd, it's encrypted (I assume b.acd isn't because I am assuming anyone who has Astro can read it).

So I want the folder to act like any other folder on my phone (and in order to access it I have to unlock my phone, no one who doesn't know my unlock pattern can't use it) and if they take out the card and use a card reader all they see is a file that they cannot open.

I guess whatever app does this will ask me for a key when I install it so then the app will encrypt and decrypt the data as I am using it.

I have searched the market for encryption software, but with the apps I found I had to manually encrypt and decrypt the files myself unlike how Astro uses ACD archives...

Possibly maybe there could be a program I can run on my PC to access the encrypted files when I provide it with the key...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones