• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Travelling - Disabling Data and SMS

dudeman135

Jun 25, 2010
My wife and I will be traveling to the Dominican Republic in a few weeks and we want to be sure we don't incur any data/sms charges while there. I still want to be able to receive calls for emergency purposes and still would like to utilize data whenever we are in range of WiFi, I just don't want to incur any data charges. From what I've read Verizon does have coverage in Punta Cana, so it is a legitimate concern.

I found the check box to turn off data under Settings, Data Manager, Data Delivery, Data enabled. Unchecking that seems to stop all data as far as I can tell, except SMS messages still come through. We use Handcent for SMS.

Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Thanks. So is it still possible to temporarily disable SMS will still allowing voice? We'll turn off any automatic SMS messages we get from sites like Facebook, but not everyone will remember we are away and still send texts while we are gone. According to what I see on Verizon's site, we would be charged for that.

Rate Information CDMA Standard Roaming Per Minute Rate: $1.99
CDMA Value Plan Roaming Per Minute Rate: $1.99

Text Messaging Rates
$0.50/address sent
$0.05/message received

Upvote 0
I was in Punta Cana this past September and didn't think that Verizon had any service there. I just put it into airplane mode (you'll need an app to just turn off cellular and keep wifi) and gave people the number for the resort.

Enjoy the trip! Beautiful place and would love to go back some day. If you like cigars, look up Don Lucas:
Cigar Lounge Punta Cana, by Lucas De Meester. Don Lucas Cigars
Nice guy and great cigars.

Also, if you stay at the Riu Palace Macao, skip the Kabuki restaurant and go to the Krystal restaurant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones