1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Travelling with a Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by quentinl, Aug 12, 2011.

1. quentinl

quentinl Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I am from Canada and I am going to South Asia soon. I want to take my phone (Galaxy 7500). I am going to cancel my phone plan here before I go. So I want the phone for WiFi and camera and data organizer.
    So if I don't have a calling plan:
    1. Will I be able to use WiFi?
    2. If I stay somewhere for long enough that I want to make calls, can I use the Sim card in my phone, or do I get a new one? If so, will I lose all my contacts, notes, apps, etc? Or are those on the hard drive?
    3. Is WiFi the same all around the world?

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    1. yes.. always

2. yes, you can use your phone... as long as your phone has the support for that carrier.. ex: GSM vs CDMA

3. yes.. but there are versions band routers... most are on G or N... G is basic. Does your phone support N?

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Depends on which carrier you intend to use. If you want to use your current carrier (and incur international roaming fees), yes. If you want to use another carrier, no. However, if you want to use another carrier's SIM you need to ensure that your device is unlocked. You also need to ensure that your device supports the bands required by the carrier you intend to use.

No. Your SIM is tied to the service with your carrier. It has no impact on your data. Anything in your SIM phonebook (which you really shouldn't be using anyway) won't be available if you switch SIM's.

I doubt your device has a hard drive. You mean internal storage which is where your data is stored (as well as the SD card).