• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Treo Pro to Epic 4G for DUMMIES - PIM

evperry

Jun 4, 2010
I wanted Android.

I also wanted my PIM to come with me.

I cant live without contacts, tasks, calendars, memos. Keep in mind that while Im a Apple guy I had to use Outlook to make this happen. Im all about cloud syncing and could care less about syncing to my computer. While I might back up to outlook every now and again, its not that important to me.

Here is what you do.

1) Get a google account if you don't have one
2) Get Gsyncit and Pay for it.
3) Get gdocs (free) - for memos
4) Get Gtasks (free) - for tasks
5) Sync your phone to Outlook
6) Use Gsync to sync cal, contacts, tasks and memos to google.

Done.

You will now cloud sync all your info from your phone to google.

Took me 4 days to make this happen.

Reactions: Comenius
Here's what worked for me. I'm not comfortable with my contacts and tasks on the cloud at this time, so I use dejaOffice on the Android, and USB cable to connect. Reliability trumps simplicity for professional reasons, and I don't have time to play with improperly formatted files created by Palm and Agendus, nor to fight Excel as it mangles a few unlucky cells in a large CSV file.

Former environment:
* Laptop: Agendus Pro, Windows 7
* Handheld: Palm Centro

Target environment:
* Laptop: Windows 7, Outlook.
(keep Agendus untouched, just in case something goes wrong)
* Handheld: Samsung Epic 4g, using DejaOffice.

These steps worked for me:
* backup your laptop, at least your Palm folder
* Buy companionLink and dejaOffice ($50, or $150 with support)
* buy pocketCopy from Chapura.com ($25)
* Use pocketCopy to migrate from Agendus to Outlook
-> outlook remaps your task priorities from 5 levels to 3; check that remapping!
-> spot check everything
* On Android install dejaOffice
* set dejaOffice to:
do USB sync, not sync with Android;
Settings, private, sync private records.
* On Laptop set companionLink to
sync Android via USB; Microsoft Outlook.
Outlook settings: purge and reload contacts, outlook is primary.
Advanced settings: synchronize personal category.
* Connect cable. Charging mode (not Mass Storage mode; USB debug off).
* tap dejaOffice, tap "Sync"
-> Laptop's companionLink blue bar advances.
* after laptop says it's finished, tap Android OK.
-> Android says "Synchronizing"

Before routine use, on Laptop run CompanionLink Setup, Outlook Settings, change it to sync both ways (not purge and reload). For added safety, keep Outlook as primary, and don't make Android-side deletes cause an Outlook delete.

My experience to date since 2011 June:
* dejaOffice is slow, with my 3000 contacts.
* to improve reliability of sync,
(1) before sync, run scanpst on outlook.pst several times until it reports no errors found.
(2) On PC, keep Outlook open during the sync. Tech Support found sync froze due to Outlook not responding. (RPC error). This seems to be the biggest problem on my end.
(3) On PC, keep Companionlink open during the sync. Just to see progress.
(4) Be patient! Count to 20 before clicking OK. It'll be faster in the long run.
* I've used this setup since 2011 June 20; haven't lost anything yet. Complex bulk editing is best done on Outlook, not dejaOffice.
* to avoid hang during sync, make sure Outlook is running; and phone's USB-Debug setting be off. If it does crash, just restart it and sync again.
* Due to inconsistencies in Agendus (and Palm) data storage formats, sync or direct-copy to Android is not reliable, in my experience.
* Outlook tasks have only 3 priority levels; Palm had 5.

If this helps, let me know...

Upvote 0
x3 for Gsyncit. If you use categories in outlook, you can set it up to sync a specific category to a specific google calendar. I have 3 different categories set up in outlook, my employees vacation calendar, personal items, and work meetings, and they all sync to a calendar of the same name on google. These are two ways syncs (assuming you want two way, you can specify one way), if the item is added to the google calendar, it will end up on outlook on the next sync, or vise versa. I also have one google calendar that isn't synced, for things I don't want in outlook. Contacts work great also. I've been using it since I had a palm pre (over 2 years now). It now costs nearly $20, but well worth it. The good thing is that it syncs with Google, and is not device dependent. Here is the link http://www.daveswebsite.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones