• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trick- Folders in App Dock on non-Jelly Bean.

Got an older Gingerbread phone? Possibly with only 4 dock spaces? I've figured out A way to make folders in the dock with just 2 apps: Shortcut Launcher by Mibisoftware, and Folder Organizer by Fabio Collini.

Shortcut Launcher installs 3 "blank" (configurable to shortcuts) apps onto your app drawer, and Folder Organizer allows you to create shortcuts to easily configured app folders.

After installing the two apps configure your desired apps to folders with folder organizer, create the Labels (folders) as you want, go through the main page of apps and one by one assign them to labels.

Long press and drag "Shortcut 1" from your app drawer to A dock slot. Tap "Shortcut 1" that you just placed in the dock and choose the "Folder Organizer-Link" shortcut and pick the folder you want to assign to that dock space. Done! You can assing more folders into dock spaces with "Shortcut 2" and "Shortcut 3".

Now if only we could change the icons of the three shortcuts.

Any third party launcher can change icons of the shortcuts and put them in the dock. I've been doing that for over a year on my old gingerbread phone using Holo Launcher and Folder Organizer. You can also specify folder icons with Folder organizer itself.

I also forgot to mention, using a third party launcher allows you to put more spaces on the dock. Mine used to hold 5, then scrolls to the side with 3 pages, thus reaching 15 spaces.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones