• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tried Rooting my evo and failed...need help

Mattbo2003

Aug 30, 2011
OK I followed a youtube video and i thought I did everything right but i guess not. When i got to my Hboot screen it says

-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.05.00.06.10
mar 8 2011,17:02:15

HBOOT

PARSING...{SD ZIP}
1 BOOTLOADER
2 RADIO_V2
3 BOOT
4 RECOVERY
5 SYSTEM
6 USERDATA
7 MICROP
8 SPLASH1
9 WINMAX

Do you want to start update?

After I updated it and went to restore the screen goes solid white. Then I got a Red triangle. Any idea what I did wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks for any and all help

Matt

Go to the GB Rooting guide. There is a section for switching recoveries. Follow the instructions there to get Amon RA flashed. Then you can flash a stock rooted rom or a custom rom of your choice. MikG2.5 is a good one to start.

I'm guessing he has a corrupted CWM recovery .zip file on his SD card from the rooting process. So he needs to make sure to delete that first. This was going to be my next suggestion after he told me if he could boot into his phone or not :). Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.

Upvote 0
ok sounds easy enough. Ill get on it when I get home. I cant download things to the work computer

I was going to suggest you boot your phone to normal and connect to your computer mounting SD card for Mass Storage. Make sure to delete any PC36IMG.zip files already on your phone's SD card then follow these directions from http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

Originaly posted by Ocnbrze

speaking of recovery i would really recommend that everyone switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery then clockwork mod. you can get the recovery here:pC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm guessing he has a corrupted CWM recovery .zip file on his SD card from the rooting process. So he needs to make sure to delete that first. This was going to be my next suggestion after he told me if he could boot into his phone or not :). Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.

Similar to my guess. I figured that just going to the switching recoveries would have saved some time rather than waiting for the phone to boot up then having to go back to hboot. Get the PC36IMG file on the card and flash it. Either way will get him recovery and on to flashing roms.

Upvote 0
Similar to my guess. I figured that just going to the switching recoveries would have saved some time rather than waiting for the phone to boot up then having to go back to hboot. Get the PC36IMG file on the card and flash it. Either way will get him recovery and on to flashing roms.

Without an SD reader or working recovery, the only way to manage the SD card is through the phone's OS. Thats why i was going that way :)

Upvote 0
If i check fastboot this is what happens

SD checking ...
Loading ...{PC36DIA.zip}
no image
Loading...{PC36DIAG.NBH}
no image or wrong image
Loading... {PC36IMG.zip}

So it looks like I dont have a recovery image? Im new to this guys im trying to read all I can about rooting/fixing my phone. One a good note it does still work but the internet comes in and out

Upvote 0
If i check fastboot this is what happens

SD checking ...
Loading ...{PC36DIA.zip}
no image
Loading...{PC36DIAG.NBH}
no image or wrong image
Loading... {PC36IMG.zip}

So it looks like I dont have a recovery image? Im new to this guys im trying to read all I can about rooting/fixing my phone. One a good note it does still work but the internet comes in and out

That is the bootloader scanning for the PC36IMG file. It is made to do that by default when you reboot to it. You should not have one on your sdcard unless you want to flash it. Does your phone boot up normally or does it bootloop or stay on the White HTC screen?

Upvote 0
Only if I try to go to recovery. If I pull the battery the phone boots up like normal

Boot the phone normally then follow the directions in the GB Rooting guide to switch recoveries to Amon RA. Once you get recovery, you should be good to go. Unless you have an sdcard reader to put your sdcard in, you will need your phone booted to allow access to your sdcard to transfer the file.

Reactions: Mattbo2003
Upvote 0
I want to say THANK YOU to Lubberlick and Etremedays. I woke up early and got my phone rooted and acting normal. Now to figure out what rom to use and how to install. Im tired of all the bloatware. Any suggestions ?

I'm glad you got everything working. Did I mention NANDROID then copy said nandroid to your computer for safe keeping. Rename it to something like "OriginalNANDROID" and keep it safe. Also make damn sure you select WIMAX in the backup options. Might I also suggest you do this twice and make 2 backups and store them in separate locations just in case.

As for roms, look at the roms and kernels download sticky on these forums and flash away. Find one you like. Then flash another one, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another............................................................................................

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones